Water Heater Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

celife

Reaction score
I recently had a PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) rep come out to look for a gas leak. In the process of looking over my system he apparently broke my water heater as for several days there has been a consistent puddle beneath it (see pic). They can't have someone out to fix it for a week, so I'd like to fix it myself. How should I approach this?

Attachments

• 20140211_164316_resized.jpg
    20140211_164316_resized.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 358

Reach4

Reaction score
Make sure that the water is not coming from the temperature and pressure valve.
TP_Valve_030_AmerWtrHtr.jpg

If it is not, plan to replace the water heater --- unless....

What caused this person to come check out your water heater? If you did not call, it may be part of a fraud. Don't deal with whoever calls you to try to sell you a water heater. If you did call, then things would be normal.

Maybe it was like the mechanics who squirt oil on a shock absorber, and who offer to sell you shocks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's sort of a quandary...if the T&P valve doesn't open and you have a fault, things can get serious fast - things can blow up; but, if you do test it, if there's some crud that gets on the seal, or the shaft has some mineral deposits on it, it may never seal well again. Sometimes, they do after sitting there awhile. But, if it is coming from there, just replace it as has been said. YOu might try opening it up fully for a moment (careful, the discharge will be hot!), and if there's something caught there, it may wash it out and then seal. At the worst, you'll be back where you are now.

celife

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great help! I do believe it's the T&P valve. I tried opening then closing it to see if that helped to clear things out, but it seems to be leaking at a steady rate now. I'm guessing that it'll require a replacement of the valve unless anyone else has any suggestions as to how to fix the leak. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20140211_180454_resized.jpg
    20140211_180454_resized.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 272

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a pressure regulator on your incoming line, your pressure tank may have gone bad, or you may lack one. That could cause a good T+P valve leak water.

Ditto if there is a backflow prevention valve in your water meter. Did you get your meter swapped recently?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't think there are repair kits for that valve...it's tear out and replace. YOu could try pushing the stem down, can't hurt, might help, but sounds like it's time for a new one.

celife

Reaction score
Ditto if there is a backflow prevention valve in your water meter. Did you get your meter swapped recently?

Thank you. The meter hasn't been swapped in recent years. The only event correlated with the beginning of this issue was when the guy from PG&E was checking for gas leaks...but I'm beginning to suspect that was just a coincidence.

celife

Reaction score
Don't think there are repair kits for that valve...it's tear out and replace. YOu could try pushing the stem down, can't hurt, might help, but sounds like it's time for a new one.

Thanks, man. By pushing down on the stem do you mean pushing down on the part in the 2nd image I posted? I gave that a try but it seemed the leak remained the same. I'm sensing it's time to replace it.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
And I suggest you replace the galvanized steel nipples that are screwed into the hot and cold water fittings , on top of the water heater .

God bless
Wyr

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks