Anyone used these cheap gas tankless Chinese heaters? Having a problem with mine

Users who are viewing this thread

blenderbender

Reaction score
Due to budget constraints, I bought a cheap Chinese tankless heater on ****. I just need something to warm up a little water in the garage for cleanup. It looks decent enough, considering it cost just $85 including shipping. There's lots of em on **** under various brands but they all look like they have the same controls, burner, knob layout, etc. I'm guessing the burners and controls are all made by a single manufacturer. Some are listed as LPG and others as NG. Mine is supposed to be NG and I just finished installing it today. It has battery ignition (2 D cells) as it's also intended for RV, campsite use, etc. It's unvented, but they can be vented to the outside with a small fabricated hood and associated duct work. In any case mine will not hold a burn. It ignites briefly, fizzles, ignites again, pops out, and after the third try shuts down via auto safety controls. So for some reason it won't stay ignited. Something seems to be shutting down the gas after the initial ignition. I have another gas fired unit heater on the same supply so I'm thinking fuel isn't the problem. The manual is of absolutely no use as it is one of those brief and very poorly translated affairs. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps they sent me an LPG model. There is nothing discernible on the heater or in the manual that says NG or LPG. Another thing that tends to make me think it's LPG is the supplied fitting for the gas connection was 1/2" FP x 3/8" barb..... i.e. propane hose? I obviously have addressed this issue to the **** seller, but it's Chinese New Year and he's out of touch for a few days. Likely at best is maybe an exchange. Thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else has any ideas. Thanks for any thoughts!

Gary

Houptee

Reaction score
I bought 2 of those a few years ago they sort of worked but would not maintain constant temp water, it kept scalding, then went warm, then all over the map, so I took them out and noticed on one unit the entire heat exchanger was scorched and burned a hole thru the thin sheet metal surrounding the flame area.
They had a yellow sticker on mine at the gas connector that said NG nat gas and it was a standard 3/4 male NPT fitting so it does sound like you got a propane version.
Either way I think using it in a garage or campsite is all I would expect from those units with one shower or sink connected max.

blenderbender

Reaction score
Thanks.... that's what I'm thinking too. I think tomorrow I'll borrow my propane grill tank and see if stays lit running LPG

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Them units are made for Radio Active water.

For $85 dollars what did you expect ?

I would not trust to use one in my home.

They do make some good electronics, but a gas appliance, ??? Not so sure.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

blenderbender

Reaction score
Don.... all I expected was it would stay lit and warm up a little water. I knew I wasn't buying a BMW.

DonL

Reaction score
Don.... all I expected was it would stay lit and warm up a little water. I knew I wasn't buying a BMW.

I understand.

I did not mean to harsh your mellow.

It is what it is.

Gas is not a play toy.

At least their electronics have fuse protection.

Not sure about their gas products.

blenderbender

Reaction score
The heater works flawlessly after connecting to propane source. So I guess the good news is it wasn't a bum heater, just a bum seller who listed it as NG instead of LPG.

DonL

Reaction score
The heater works flawlessly after connecting to propane source. So I guess the good news is it wasn't a bum heater, just a bum seller who listed it as NG instead of LPG.

Great that you have it working.

If you decide to keep it and still have the listing, maybe the seller will refund some of your money.

blenderbender

Reaction score
I'm hoping he has the proper NG model to exchange for. I get free NG but have to pay for propane so that's a no brainer.

Houptee

Reaction score
Was it shipped to you from China or a USA seller?
I recently bought some LED outdoor weatherproof 20 watt lights to replace the 2 broken halogen lights on my work light tripod stand and they shipped from China.
The price was very good and they had free shipping. They put out decent light at only 20 watts, and do not get scorching hot like the 500 watt halogens.
Sometimes its worth a shot to try these items if the price is right but there is risk involved.
And who would you turn to if the unit bursts into flames or blows a internal pipe leaking all over when your not home etc.

blenderbender

Reaction score
It was shipped from California, but the seller is in China. If I were putting it my house I would be a little more concerned. But for just light occasional use in garage for cleaning up I think it will be fine.

DonL

Reaction score
The seller should pay the return shipping cost.

If it was their error.

It is bad enough that you have to replace it.

blenderbender

Reaction score
Well this has been an eye opener. It ain't quite over but I thought I'd catch folks up in the event anyone is considering one of these units for themselves. After 2 weeks of negotiating with seller on a daily basis, I opted to keep the propane heater sent and seller agreed to a partial refund to compensate me for shipping wrong product. I plan on strapping it to a hand truck along with a propane tank to use it outside in mobile mode for washing dogs, etc. I then purchased another heater from another seller after contacting him prior to purchase to make certain they would send me an NG heater. He of course said "no problem". As soon as the heater arrived it was clear that he didn't follow through as both sides of the box are clearly marked "LP". I'm in the process of negotiating again with a Chinese seller who has a limited command of the English language. I'm not profiling here, it's just plain and simple that with the 2 of 2 that I've dealt with here are difficult to communicate with. Now this guy is telling me "no worries, the boxes are mis-marked LP". I will attempt to run the heater on NG and I will be pleasantly surprised if it works, but I don't have high hopes. As I really need a heater asap, I've contacted a third seller in the event that I decide to purchase a third before I get this second one resolved. He told me, even prior to purchasing, that the boxes are not labeled correctly and I should not be concerned if the box says LP on it. Gee whiz..... I wonder what would happen if a guy actually ordered the propane model. More to follow.....

DonL

Reaction score
That does not sound so good.

Do you have a link to the one you are buying ?

They may have a adjustable gas valve, and both units are the same, But calibrated for the different gas types.

Good Luck.

blenderbender

Reaction score
I see nothing in terms of an adjustable gas valve, and there is no mention of anything of the sort in the poorly translated user manual. If you search **** for "tankless water heater natural gas" and sort by 'lowest price first' you'll see a bunch of them. A couple different ones but seemingly all the same except for the sheet metal cover and rated capacities. I'm off to the garage to test fire this latest one to see if it'll burn NG.

DonL

Reaction score
I see nothing in terms of an adjustable gas valve, and there is no mention of anything of the sort in the poorly translated user manual. If you search **** for "tankless water heater natural gas" and sort by 'lowest price first' you'll see a bunch of them. A couple different ones but seemingly all the same except for the sheet metal cover and rated capacities. I'm off to the garage to test fire this latest one to see if it'll burn NG.

That is interesting how they are listed.

They mix things up in the Description. Typical for China sellers.

I guess a person needs to really do some homework to make sure they know what they are ordering.

I buy a lot of electronics from china, And I always buy a sample to test, because their description rarely makes sense in English.

They may call LP NG because it is made from "wet" natural gas.

Very Interesting, I hope all comes out good for You.

blenderbender

Reaction score
Well, go figure! This one works running NG! So pleased I don't need to go through anymore challenging communications with seller. For what it's worth, I did visit a couple of the Chinese manufacturers websites and they all list these heaters as available in LP or NG varieties, so they must know there is a difference. But why this one works and the other one refused to I am not clear. At any rate I've got a dedicated outside mobile LP unit and an NG unit in the garage all for a total of $150 including shipping.... I'm happy with the outcome.... finally.

DonL

Reaction score
That is great.

Please report any problems that you have if any. That could help others.

They look like they would be great for RV or Camping travel.

Enjoy.

John Furbee

Reaction score
Due to budget constraints, I bought a cheap Chinese tankless heater on ****.
Gary

Hi, I am living in China & the on demand type water heater is used in most places. Most of them are NG but they do mfg PG for rural areas & mobile uses. They also have electric. All of them seem to be as high or higher quality then I have seen in the US.
There could be a problem with the orfice size or more likely something blocking. Often they are supplied with 2 orfices for NG & Propane.
I would highly recommend venting it. Fumes from an open flame in a closed area is dangerous. Also be careful about gasoline or solvent fumes around an open flame especially if garage doors & windows are closed. I generally like the electric versions for those reasons.
The prices have come down & technology has improved so that they are less expensive to use than tank type heaters. You only use energy to heat the water as you need it.
John Furbee

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks