"Net Neutrality Not so Neutral

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A Washington, D.C. court ruled this month that Internet service providers in the United States will be allowed to deny or degrade the Internet connection to any website as they see fit. Analyst James Love argues that this violation of “net neutrality†stems from corruption in American politics.

The Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) “net neutrality†rules were established to ensure that leading Internet service providers do not block, or degrade the quality of the Internet connection to certain websites at the expense of others. On January 14, 2014, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit published an 81-page document that struck down these rules.

http://www.themarknews.com/2014/01/27/not-so-neutral/
The Mark News

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That is crazy.

Looks like the FCC is covering for providers that Oversell their services. Even tho they set the rules.

Sites like u-tube and other streaming sites will be the first to go, is my guess.

I would not be surprised if you can pay a Extra Fee If you want sites unblocked.

Just another Smoke Screen.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
And so we begin the slippery slope to internet regulation.

Nothing New.

The FCC regulating dial-up speeds, is one example.

28.8 kbps is as fast as Dial-up Networking Modems can go, On land lines.

The speed is not limited by technology, it is limited by the Gov.

Other countries already regulate websites, we need to follow, I guess.

Now you will need a Phorn Permit.

I can not blame ISPs for blocking Phorn, them sites have cooties, just like the Cooties that the Girls and Guys on them sites have.

Have Fun, Pay Up...

Last edited:

Guy48065

Reaction score
Wow this issue just hit home for me and now I get it. In recent weeks I've been seeing a drastic change in how long it takes streaming Netflix movies to buffer. I've also been noticing a big reduction in image quality. I never used to see digital artifacts in the signal but now it's commonplace. Pixelling, grainy picture, jerky action, interruptions, etc. I called Netflix and was told they have been getting many complaints from Comcast subscribers. They told me that during peak demand times evenings & weekends that as much as 33% of Comcast web traffic is Netflix streaming. Would Comcast want to throttle Netflix to ensure best performance to their Xfinity subscribers? I think it's pretty obvious what's going on but Comcast just gives me a smokescreen.

DonL

Reaction score
Yep.

They expect you to use your Internet bandwidth and data limits to stream their video service.

Now that Netflix is all streaming, I see things getting worse.

"Would Comcast want to throttle Netflix to ensure best performance to their Xfinity subscribers? "

Yes they would. You are lucky that they do not Block the Internet Ports that Netflix uses, Like many providers do with Majic Jack and Vontage.

When you check network speed, Xfinity Speed Test will always have the highest speed, because they know your provider by looking up your IP Subnet, and they want to make their service look better, when it is not. That makes many people switch to them as a provider and it is already Oversold.

I am working on a independent Internet speed test for The WinForce Control Panel, But I need to make sure my server is up to the task before I release it.

Good Luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a person at the keyboard browsing or VOIP at 100 kbits (13 KB/sec) should have latency priority over streaming movies, warez and pr0n.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I think a person at the keyboard browsing or VOIP at 100 kbits (23 KB/sec) should have latency priority over streaming movies, warez and pr0n.

I agree.

But the high paying customers get first dibs on the bandwidth.

They can not deny service, when people pay $130 a month + for their service.

I would not pay that much.

Guy48065

Reaction score
If the FCC has been neutered and can't prevent providers from slowing down speed to competitors--or anyone who won't pay a "fee" for priority speed--then I see a big fat class action lawsuit in the future. I recently upgraded my internet speed specifically to improve streaming performance. Netflix recommends "only" 3Mbps to stream in DVD quality. That should be a walk in the park for my 50Mbps service yet I get pauses while video buffers even though the actual video quality I'm seeing is below the worst VHS quality.

It's a shame my cellphone provider's "unlimited" data is limited to 2.5GB or I could use my phone as a hotspot and stream through it.

The large print giveth.
The fine print taketh away.

DonL

Reaction score
"It's a shame my cellphone provider's "unlimited" data is limited to 2.5GB"

Yea what a bunch of BS.

I do not know how they get away with crap like that.

After 2.5 GB , then you get dial-up speed, I guess that is unlimited, but seems like limited to me.

All providers suck for the most part.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have comcast here, and Netflicks streaming is horrible.
Anything but netflicks is fine.

At Sue's, she has clearwire, and Netflicks works fine there.

DonL

Reaction score
I have comcast here, and Netflicks streaming is horrible.
Anything but netflicks is fine.

At Sue's, she has clearwire, and Netflicks works fine there.

I was going to get clearwire broadband wireless here, just to play with.

Is that clearwire broadband wireless, where she lives ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks