Bathroom sink trap: PVC or Polypropylene

Users who are viewing this thread

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
I'm removing some badly constricted steel pipes that drain my bathroom sink and tub and replacing with PVC. The existing trap under the bathroom sink is a heavy weight 1.5" sched 40 PVC and screws together with metal nuts. I can't reuse all of it because the end piece is glued to some ABS, though perhaps I can just replace that one part.

Now it seems there is another option for traps: a lighter weight "slip" joint trap made of polypropylene instead of PVC. This might be easier to install because the slip joint provides more flexibility when making the final connections. I think this is 1.25" pipe, so it's a bit smaller.

My question is, does it matter which type of trap I use? Is one of the two types superior? Or should I just pick my trap based on what turns out to be the easiest to install?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
No it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is "no leaks".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Now it seems there is another option for traps: a lighter weight "slip" joint trap made of polypropylene instead of PVC. This might be easier to install because the slip joint provides more flexibility when making the final connections. I think this is 1.25" pipe, so it's a bit smaller.

I prefer tubular traps over the solvent weld traps. It's also easier to remove them when needed, in case you need to run a hand snake through the drain.

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
I prefer tubular traps over the solvent weld traps. It's also easier to remove them when needed, in case you need to run a hand snake through the drain.

Thanks for the advice.

I would say there's a second thing that matters beyond "no leaks", which is that water actually drains. Or to be more succinct: no clogs. And of course I'd like it to work properly for a long time, so no leaks or clogs in 20 years. My existing piping doesn't leak...but it also doesn't drain very well. There's a temptation to think that the heavier built product is better, that it will last longer, and so on. But it doesn't have to be true.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks