Weird plumbing/plastic repair

Users who are viewing this thread

smushie

Reaction score
Not even sure if this is a plumbing issue as much as it's a plastic repair issue. We've got Kohler stainless steel under-mount sinks in the bathrooms that are basically a steel sink with a plastic catch basin for drain and overflow. Not sure if it's a defective unit or somehow damage during installation years ago but the plastic catch basin in the master split open right at the drain hole.

This "dammit!" moment is compounded by the fact that the vanity has a 1 3/4" concrete countertop that was cut into the wall and glued in place with liquid nails. Even if we could get through the glue, there's also tile and trim that weren't there when we slid the countertop into place.
My two ideas were:
1) Contact Kohler to get a replacement catch basin. Open the drain hole on the existing basin enough to get rid of the split. Then, cut a piece off of the replacement basin large enough to fit over the hole (like a prosthetic) and silicone the new piece into place. Or,
2) Remove the drain, epoxy the heck out of it enough to basically rebuild/reinforce the area that split, reinstall the drain and then epoxy it some more.
I would welcome any suggestions on how to salvage this sink without out tearing out the vanity?

IMG_4085.jpgIMG_4690.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Are those four squares an overflow or just a design. If they are a design, and your sink does not have an overflow, then you just need a new drain made for a sink without an overflow. They do not use the "pull up rod" to operate the drain but you leave it in as a decoration.

smushie

Reaction score
Are those four squares an overflow or just a design. If they are a design, and your sink does not have an overflow, then you just need a new drain made for a sink without an overflow. They do not use the "pull up rod" to operate the drain but you leave it in as a decoration.

Thanks for taking the time Hj. The squares are functional. Do you think that Plumbers Putty Epoxy might be something to use to rebuild the cracked piece?

smushie

Reaction score
I was able to remove the drain. No cross threading or anything else to help with determining a cause. I think the drain can be fixed with the sink in place but I'm still wondering if anyone has suggestions for repairing that crack in the overflow basin.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know your material, but JB weld is good epoxy.

If you can take that plastic off, I would maybe put some fiber glass cloth over the crack and slather with JB.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I cannot see the crack in your photo, but I am certain that the sink can be replaced without removing the countertop.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking the crack is where the red line is here: huge3.png I am thinking the stuff around it was an attempt to patch.

smushie

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. While the sink could be replaced without removing the countertop, it would involve tearing apart much of a very nice custom cabinet. The crack itself is exactly where that red line is. The goop around it was build-up that was leaking back into the overflow and then dribbling out of the crack.

Update: I had a plumber over to take a look. We removed the drain assembly; cleaned and dried the whole thing off; filled the 4 square holes, two round holes (where the overflow emptied into the drain), and the inside and outside of the crack with silicone caulk; reinstalled the drain assembly; and then spread additional silicone around the outside of the assembly and over the crack. Currently it's drying but I'm hopeful that this will solve the problem for a while. With the overflow sealed off from the top and bottom, it shouldn't leak through the crack, but if it does, the next step will be to cut out the plastic overflow and then run the drain pipe right up the the steep basin. While there might be other factors that brought about the crack, I'm really pissed at Kohler for making such a junk product. For as nice as that stainless steel sink basin is, the plastic overflow basin is cheap and flimsy. No way of knowing that the sink was half plastic until it arrived. And even then, I thought it was part of the packaging until it came time to mount it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks