TK-1S water heater problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Rogsen

Reaction score
I have a very peculiar problem with my tankless water heater manufactured by a very well known company with a Japanese name. I can not find anybody that will service it or let's put it this way I can not find any trained technician that will tackle the job. I do need the heat exchanger cleaned, the unit is the Takagi TK-1S The manufacturer was so kind to troubleshoot the problem over the phone and it was determined that the heat exchanger needs to be flushed/cleaned but the catch is that the manufacturer does not have any training available in place and claims that any body that is a licensed gas fitter can do it. Well I can not find any body and they can not find anybody on the west coast of Canada. They will not even share the service manual so I can not do it myself, again they claim that any gas fitter can do it. The heater is 2 years old and I live in a big city on the west coast of Canada. In the mean time I do not have any hot water and I have to manually reset the power in order to have hot water when I need it. Called many times the manufacturer head office in California but they dumped the responsability to the Canadian branch which in terms claimed that can not do anything but troubleshoot the problem....and nothing else. Just going in circles. Can anybody help?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a very peculiar problem with my tankless water heater manufactured by a very well known company with a Japanese name. I can not find anybody that will service it or let's put it this way I can not find any trained technician that will tackle the job. I do need the heat exchanger cleaned, the unit is the Takagi TK-1S The manufacturer was so kind to troubleshoot the problem over the phone and it was determined that the heat exchanger needs to be flushed/cleaned but the catch is that the manufacturer does not have any training available in place and claims that any body that is a licensed gas fitter can do it. Well I can not find any body and they can not find anybody on the west coast of Canada. They will not even share the service manual so I can not do it myself, again they claim that any gas fitter can do it. The heater is 2 years old and I live in a big city on the west coast of Canada. In the mean time I do not have any hot water and I have to manually reset the power in order to have hot water when I need it. Called many times the manufacturer head office in California but they dumped the responsability to the Canadian branch which in terms claimed that can not do anything but troubleshoot the problem....and nothing else. Just going in circles. Can anybody help?

I'll drive up from Penticton and fix it for you!

Would cost you about $2,000 though :p

If you have the iso-valve kit installed on the unit all you need is a bucket, a pump, some water, and something midly accidic like vinegar, and about 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the valves on the bottom of the unit.

We can tell you if you have the isolation valves installed.

smithcha100

Reaction score
We have the booklet on this but the system was already installed when we bought the house. How do I flush the system?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks