1949 Eljer? toilet in need of lift rods/tank ball - with pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

iaceit

Reaction score
Hello!
Hoping to find some replacement parts (original replacements or new tank ball or flapper) for a 1949 toilet with no manufacture name (that I can find), but with a 36 imprinted in the tank and a June 1949 on the lid.
The drawing with the red arrows shows the parts I need (even tho the other parts are a little different from mine - see pictures). The rod guide might be in the way if I don't remove it, if a new flapper is installed.
Anyways, I am hoping someone has some ideas for me!
Thanks
Toilet_Parts_149_DJFes.jpg

insideparts2.jpg

toilet.jpg

toiletlid.jpg

iaceit

Reaction score
American Standard used a tank ball and threaded brass rod like that at one time.

After much searching I found out this is a Eljer Sylenta 5120.

Do you know of a new universal flapper that may work with this?

Thanks for your response

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
After much searching I found out this is a Eljer Sylenta 5120.

Do you know of a new universal flapper that may work with this?

Thanks for your response

Good find! Actually, the guy on youtube must be a Terry Love devotee, as he says that he is now using the Korky quietfill exclusively -- exactly what I was going to recommend for your fill valve instead of a ballcock. And he has the right one (white cap) for the toilet involved, although he can probably save some water with the 528MP (silver cap) adjustable one as I imagine that the bowl is being overfilled upon refill.

I'm thinking that you can't just drop a flapper on there, because the overflow around which you would hang it is actually a molded part of the tank. Easiest solution (and a perfectly good one) is just to replace the tank ball and leave everything else as-is. Did you want the part because the toilet is leaking around the tank ball? I dont see why you couldnt just get a similar generic tank ball like this and install it on your existing lift wire. http://www.lowes.com/pd_24454-143-PP23502_0__?productId=1069565&Ntt=flapper&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=flapper&page=1&facetInfo=
They also make them with the lift wire attached, too.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
I don't think it's a magic part, from what I can see anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

iaceit

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for everyone's input. I have found some parts and will give it a go.

Achutch

Reaction score
Eljer Sylenta

It's great to see one of my videos on this forum. After cleaning as much of the staining as I could inside the tank and making sure the china flush valve seat was clean, I installed a regular tank ball and lower lift wire, and an authentic Eljer handle (any generic will do, but I like my restorations to be exact). Any tank I rebuild gets the Korky Quietfill regardless of brand or vintage. They are easiest for me to service, especially in a seasonal cabin where the plumbing must be drained and winterized. The cap comes off without a fight, and the water goes out. These valves also has a strainer that keeps material like sand from interfering with the valve's operation. My water supply is gravity fed from a brook, and I have about 18 lbs pressure, so the adjustable valve isn't really needed for my application, but would be great for anyone who is on municipal water or a well.

Good find! Actually, the guy on youtube must be a Terry Love devotee, as he says that he is now using the Korky quietfill exclusively -- exactly what I was going to recommend for your fill valve instead of a ballcock. And he has the right one (white cap) for the toilet involved, although he can probably save some water with the 528MP (silver cap) adjustable one as I imagine that the bowl is being overfilled upon refill.

I'm thinking that you can't just drop a flapper on there, because the overflow around which you would hang it is actually a molded part of the tank. Easiest solution (and a perfectly good one) is just to replace the tank ball and leave everything else as-is. Did you want the part because the toilet is leaking around the tank ball? I dont see why you couldnt just get a similar generic tank ball like this and install it on your existing lift wire. http://www.lowes.com/pd_24454-143-P...l=1&currentURL=?Ntt=flapper&page=1&facetInfo=
They also make them with the lift wire attached, too.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
I don't think it's a magic part, from what I can see anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks