Moving Heat Register Directly Under Open Door Swing? Do or Don't Do? Advice Please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

We are in the midst of planning our bathroom remodel in our mid 60's house and we have a heat/AC register in the floor next to the wall with the vanity about a foot or so to the right of the register. When the bathroom door is open and stops parallel to that wall, the left edge of the register is just to the right of the edge of the bottom of the open door. We would like to move the register to the left of its present location, but still next to the wall, which would place it directly under the door when it is open. This would allow us to put in a larger vanity, utilizing the space where the register used to be. The bathroom door is usually closed when not in use, but not always.

Is there anything that is wrong with placing the register under an open door? Code violation or just not good practice? Would it be a viable option for us?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Bluegrass Picker

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think it's a code issue, but had you considered putting it in the kickspace fo the vanity? Nice warm air on your toes! But, if it's also for a/c, probably not a good idea. What about moving it into the wall?

Reaction score
I don't think it's a code issue, but had you considered putting it in the kickspace fo the vanity? Nice warm air on your toes! But, if it's also for a/c, probably not a good idea. What about moving it into the wall?
Thanks very much for your helpful reply. I hadn't thought of the vanity kickspace idea. I'll look closely into that. It's also for the AC, but if it works for a solution we might make do with that. Not sure how the kickspace vent might survive with my size 15's, but that's another issue.......

I'm not sure if the wall would be an option. That would put the vent behind the open door instead of below it...

Thanks again,
Bluegrass Picker

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks