Noisy sump pump. Help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzy Girl

Reaction score
Is there any way to muffle/silence a noisy sump pump? It is in a crawl space unfortunately right under the master bedroom. Can it be covered? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you mean sewer ejector pump, it must be covered and sealed. It must also be vented properly.

If you mean sump pump as you would use for ground water and not sewage, it still can be covered. You can add more sound insulation under the floor and on top of the regular sump cover.

When you replace that pump, consider a smaller capacity pump, unless that pump runs over half of the time when things are wettest. What do you hear? The whirring of the pump, or do you hear gurgling or other noises?

Jazzy Girl

Reaction score
Is there any way to muffle/silence a noisy sump pump? It is in a crawl space unfortunately right under the master bedroom. Can it be covered? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your reply! It is sump pump and we can hear the motor. It is really not that loud, but the person whose room that is is very sensitive. If we could make it go away that would be great. Would we have to soundproof the whole crawl space? If we made a thicker cover for the pump, what would be a good material for that?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have noticed that there are a lot of noisy pumps out there. When the Zoeller branded pumps run, most of the noise that can be heard is the water moving through the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure. For low frequencies, heavy is good. So I would maybe be thinking of a box made of MDF... heavy stuff... and perhaps covered with a foam board. If you search the web for sound proofing, you will find some good ideas. Make the box so it can be either lifted off or easily separated for service.

Casher_chick's comment on the cast iron Zoeller pumps makes great sense. I don't know what happens if your sump pump fails, but it does not hurt to have a spare. You could make your old noisy pump to be that spare.

It is also possible that you could adjust the sensor to get the pump to shut off just a little sooner. Let the water surface stay above the water inlet, and that may muffle things enough to help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks