Milwaukee ProPex Expander Tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Pro's or Joes -

Anybody have any long term feedback on the Milwaukee Propex Tool.
I just bought it. I'm a weekend warrior and I don't run Pex all day. Or every weekend.
Just on sporadic remodels and the only application for Pex by code for me right now, is just the baseboards.
Just due to how I am installing my baseboards (flush on the wall, no feed coming *up* from the floor or the sides) I got the tool
to facilitate/ease the speed required for these installs as it's tolerances on timing due to how they are getting installed is very short.

I already have the Uponor manual kit. I'm thinking about flipping this on ****.
Not sure if there is any reason to keep it, just short of having a backup should the Milwaukee go bad....when I need it.

For those familiar with tool, love to hear how it's reliability.
I have read numerous blurbs about it not working if the heads get wet, but aside from that, that is the only negative I've come across.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Well, I did it. As much as I love german/etc tooling, (uponor manual kit was made in France), I flipped the thing on e bay and it sold quick !
As much as e bay has declined over the years (a different diatribe), I actually sold the thing for $150 MORE than what I paid for it.
At the end of the day, with the net profit I made, I actually did not end up spending more money for the powered Milwaukee unit. Go figure

The only time I have sold things more than what I paid for are my Nikon glass or watches.

petepdx

Reaction score
I will report in about a month on the M12 model

A couple years ago I did a barn with the manual tool and after about the 50'th fitting I hurt from a couple muscles I didn't know I had.

The manual tool was loaned to me. If I was more then a DIYer, and owned it, I'd still keep it. Hate to be on a job and have something
like the motor crap out.

-pete

Jm66208

Reaction score
Milwaukee propex expander

I'm finding these from just over $200 at Home depot to $800 (less my discount) at local supplier. Now that's just crazy! Is there a difference?

petepdx

Reaction score
The base or tool only M12 is $200, the kit is $400 and the M18 kit it $700

Maybe the one at your supplier/jobber is the M18 ?

-pete

Houptee

Reaction score
Anyone using the Viega pro press tools and fittings on a regular basis?
They look great but the price of the press tool and the fact you need different dies for copper and steel pipe makes it a bit out of my range for now.
Think that type of fitting will dominate the market eventually?
I was in Germany for 2 1/2 months and almost every plumbing I saw in a few hotels and a new construction home was all done with those press fittings.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Just don't see it practical for residential plumbing. My supplier has a limited stock, and I rarely see them move. Germans tend to complicate things & make a situation more about the procedure than the result. JMHO

Anyone using the Viega pro press tools and fittings on a regular basis?
They look great but the price of the press tool and the fact you need different dies for copper and steel pipe makes it a bit out of my range for now.
Think that type of fitting will dominate the market eventually?
I was in Germany for 2 1/2 months and almost every plumbing I saw in a few hotels and a new construction home was all done with those press fittings.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Back to the propex expander, are you finding situations where there just no room to use the expander? At least with crimp rings, you have the option of using an oetiker in cramped situations, and event that's tough sometimes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks