New basement bath drain

Users who are viewing this thread

gzaryz

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a novice when it comes to plumbing, so I want to ask the "proper" method for routing my drains in an upcoming basement bath install. I'd like to be armed with information before calling plumbers to have this done.

Below is a picture of my intended layout, which is to be a small 2 piece bathroom between a vertical stack and the street. I'm in Michigan, and my town allows AAV's. (my 1st floor bath and kitchen sink are both equipped with AAV's). In the pic, the sink (on the right) would drain into a "common" 2 inch drain shared with a future bar sink down the road (on the other side of the wall).

The red triangles represent 1 foot from the vertical, to an existing cleanout (about 6 feet away). My question is if its possible, what would the drain layout look like, and if I were to add an AAV to the sink drain, would that be sufficient for the toilet (wet vent?). I would like to move the cleanout closer to the street, and would be adding a backwater valve somewhere near where the cleanout is now.

I appreciate the help, and be gentle, I'm learning!
Bath1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When a customer calls me to do an installation like that, all I ask him is WHERE do you want the fixtures, then he goes to the mall for a cup of coffee while I DECIDE how the pipes will work best. I have absolutely NO INTEREST in how HE thinks they should be installed. A "good" plumber will install a backwater valve so it does NOT interfere with using the upstairs plumbing during a backup condition. whether the AAV would work with the toilet, or not, depends entirely on HOW the piping is installed.

Last edited:

gzaryz

Reaction score
Ok then don't be gentle, be hostile I guess.
Figured if I'm going to plunk down a couple grand to have someone do the work for me, I'd rather not find out after the fact that they did it wrong, hence my interest on how it *should* be done, which your reply provided nothing of the sort. I wasn't going to tell anyone how to do it, I was going to hire the guy who described what they planned to do. Lighten up, Francis.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That still lacks enough detail to make a layout from.

A lav can wet vent a toilet. If you have a vent through the roof, then you can use AAV's on other places.
The AAV needs to be accessible for air intake and for replacement. If it's in a wall, they make access boxes with grills.

Reach4

Reaction score
The red triangles represent 1 foot from the vertical, to an existing cleanout (about 6 feet away).

What does that mean? Does the white line represent a new proposed under-floor pipe from that existing pipe area , or are you describing what you think the existing path of the visible pipe is under the floor, or are you describing a proposed new vertical pipe? Is this "existing cleanout" outside of the view of the picture, or is it the thing where your white line starts?

gzaryz

Reaction score
That still lacks enough detail to make a layout from.

A lav can wet vent a toilet. If you have a vent through the roof, then you can use AAV's on other places.
The AAV needs to be accessible for air intake and for replacement. If it's in a wall, they make access boxes with grills.

Thank you very much Terry!
I do have to vents to the roof, all the fixture on the 2nd floor are vented that way.
In my 1st floor bath, the AAV's are right after the trap under the sink before entering the wall, so I assume that's what would happen in my instance. Just out of curiosity, if two sinks with their own traps dump into the same vertical drain (i.e. on opposite sides of a wall), do they both need an AAV?
I'm also wondering, would it matter where "in order out to the street" the sink connected to the horizontal for the lav to be a wet vent? Before or after where the toilet y's in?

What more detail can I get for y'all? :D

Thanks again!

Last edited:

gzaryz

Reaction score
What does that mean? Does the white line represent a new proposed under-floor pipe from that existing pipe area , or are you describing what you think the existing path of the visible pipe is under the floor, or are you describing a proposed new vertical pipe? Is this "existing cleanout" outside of the view of the picture, or is it the thing where your white line starts?

Ah yes, didn't specify what that was in my write up. The white line is what I'm 99% sure is under the slab. This is in a new sub, and I've seen what other houses of the same model as mine have laid before the basement was poured. I'm prepared for a large hole to be banged out to possibly push that line out (make it more perpendicular with the wall) in order to accommodate the toilet connection.

The existing cleanout is right where the bend is - follow the line 6 clicks to the left from the vertical in the pic. You can just see the white plug peeping from the floor. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks