Replaced fill valve, no water fills in tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Christopher Chan

Reaction score
The other day I noticed after I flushed that my toilet wasn't getting any water in the tank. So, I went to the store and bought a new fill valve. After replacing the fill valve, water would of filled the tank, but didn't. I turned off the water and removed the pipe to see if I was getting water flow after turning the valve back on. still no water even after turning the valve back on. Could it be that I have a bad shut off valve or is the valve clogged? Need help! Thanks everyone for their future advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Remove the supply line from the toilet and run the water into a bucket.
If no water comes out of the supply, it's a problem with the wall shutoff.

Christopher Chan

Reaction score
Yeah took off the supply, there isn't any water. Going to replace the shutoff valve. I live in a condominium building. Need to find the main water shut off and turn off the water tomorrow. Hopefully, it's just the valve and nothing bigger.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I live in a condominium building. Need to find the main water shut off and turn off the water tomorrow.

Just be careful that you're not violating your condo rules by doing your own plumbing in a multifamily building. Changing a toilet fill valve is no problem, usually. However, when you start changing the angle-stop in your bathroom, that's getting a little closer to an issue, depending on your condo's rules and your local plumbing codes,

If you're talking about your own main water shutoff, again, that may be something you can rightfully play with; if you're talking about the shutoff to more than your unit, that might be a problem.

Not trying to be a naysayer, just want to make sure you don't have problems with your condo association.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your best course of action is to call the association first, if you don't have a shut off for your unit, or if your shut off is defective. Every condo bldg has its own arrangements, as you may have to shut off a valve that affects other units, to do your work.

I recently worked on a condo and needed to replace the unit's main valve, which was defective. The association gave out notices to some 20 units, that the water will be shut off on a particular day and time. They gave me 2 hours to complete the job, which was enough, after 2 hours they turned the water back on and everything was fine. Then I was able to complete my work inside the unit.

Reach4

Reaction score
Most people today prefer the quarter-turn valve rather than the multi-turn.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Before you replace the valve...what kind of hose is on the valve? If it happens to be a floodstop brand, that may be your problem. If when you take that hose of, if you have flow, then you'll know it's the hose, and not the valve.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Good catch, Jim. Christopher, I would go get a new braided supply hose (standard, not floodstop) and install it on your existing supply stop. You do well to change these out from time to time anyway, so it can't hurt. Turn on the water into a bucket and see if you have flow. If you do, then you're back in business.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above, and would just add a comment. Most likely the problem is the supply line, and even if it is not the problem, changing it would be very inexpensive and easy to do, and would either cure the problem or eliminate it. If this does not fix the problem then don't go any further without an OK from the condo assn.

Christopher Chan

Reaction score
Sorry for the late replies everyone, well i just got a friend to come and check out the problem. We replaced the shutoff valve from the wall; after, we would think there would be water flow. well there's still no water coming through. So what do you think the problem is now? I think the only problem that this could be a clog in the pipe somewhere, because everything else in the bathroom is getting water flow, besides the toilet. Any suggestions would be nice and appreciated. Thanks again.

ps, i forgot to also add that i got the approval from the condo association. I even asked them if they had this problem with any other units in the building, they said that i'm the only person with this issue, and they were no help at all. They also mention that since it's just my unit that has the problem, they wouldn't be responsible for any of the inconvenience or compensation to the problem. Do you think that they could be some what liable?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
ps, i forgot to also add that i got the approval from the condo association. I even asked them if they had this problem with any other units in the building, they said that i'm the only person with this issue, and they were no help at all. They also mention that since it's just my unit that has the problem, they wouldn't be responsible for any of the inconvenience or compensation to the problem. Do you think that they could be some what liable?
Did they "mention" that spontaneously, or in response to something you said along those lines?

I expect that agreements differ, what they are telling you is common.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...04180369_1_plumbing-unit-association-coverage

Regarding your plumbing, was the plumbing shutoff to your unit easy to access? Is the plumbing that you saw copper, or galvanized? Old building? Are you above another unit? I don't know how I would proceed, but those with ideas might be inspired by some more information.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you check for water at the valve with, or without the hose on? If the hose was on, it could easily have been the hose. Don't remember if you ever clarified if the hose was a FloodSafe one or not...those have an internal valve that may be stuck, or closed, thinking there was a leak.

Depending on how the water is run, it could be a frozen pipe, but it could be a major problem if it IS that, as depending on how hard of a freeze, it may split the pipe or a fitting, and when it defrosts, major damage can occur.

Christopher Chan

Reaction score
Did you check for water at the valve with, or without the hose on? If the hose was on, it could easily have been the hose. Don't remember if you ever clarified if the hose was a FloodSafe one or not...those have an internal valve that may be stuck, or closed, thinking there was a leak.

Depending on how the water is run, it could be a frozen pipe, but it could be a major problem if it IS that, as depending on how hard of a freeze, it may split the pipe or a fitting, and when it defrosts, major damage can occur.

I'm going to take some pictures of the toilet, tank, valve, and the hose. Sorry, I apologize that I do not know much about toilets and plumbing. You guys are very informative and I'm lucky to have help from y'all. Happy New Years to everyone and be safe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even with the OK from the condo assn, you're getting into something that could come back to bite you on the you-know-what. The possibility of something happening that could affect other units may exist. You will be liable for any damage to others property and belongings that you might cause. Sorry to sound like an old lady, but stuff does happen. Certainly check the things like the supply hose and anything else that easy, but if that fails, it might be wise to hire a professional who is licensed and insured. I'm just suggesting you proceed with care.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
It is possible that this branch of the water system is clogged with small rocks. You could install a tee with another shut off valve and hook an air compressor or portable air tank to the line to dislodge the clog. You can charge it with air and then turn the air off and turn the valve on the side outlet of the tee to see if flow has been restored. The rocks might be big enough that the angle stop might need to be removed. If it does, you could install a full port ball valve and an adapter that would accept the compression end of the supply line. If this is the case I would most certainly install a whole house water filter. This is always your first defense for such a problem.

Christopher Chan

Reaction score
well, the pipe goes into the unit below, so couldn't get in there since people aren't occupying it. What i did was run a line from the sink pipe/valve, into the toilet now. everything seems to be working fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks