Dryer Static - modify dryer grounds....amicrazyorwhat?

Users who are viewing this thread

jgold47

Reaction score
Now that the wife wont let me use dryer sheets or anything similar on the new baby clothes, the static is driving me nuts. I've tried all of the prescribed methods - vinnegar, dryer balls, aluminum foil (more on that) with no success....came across a length of stranded copper grounding wire from an old project. What about modifying the dryer to have a greater grounding potential? I'm not talking about the motor which would still be connected to house ground,, but introducing some sort of chassis ground with a super low potential directly to earth (in this case to a blackpipe running overhead, which is not tied to house ground...

I havent dug into the wiring diagram for the dryer yet, although I suspect there is a ground connection from the drum to the normal chassis ground. I want to isolate that into its own ground. Any thoughts?

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I doubt grounding the drum will help. It's the fabrics rubbing together that causes the static.

I put only clothes in the dryer and don't get *any* static anymore. The things that helped were:

- avoiding synthetic fabrics (and wool).

- using less detergent.

- throwing in a big worn out cotton towel with every load.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The tub turns around and around so to try to attach a wire to it would only cause the wire to wrap around the tub until it pulls free.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The Drum is already grounded thru the Drum Bearing.

Some dryers do have humidity sensors in the drum, and you can put the dryer on less dry.

The dryer you dry the cloths the more static charging. Just do not dry them so long, save power.

All You can do at this point is say Yes Dear.

Enjoy the Baby.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are some hypo-allergenic perfume free fabric softeners out there. I use All, unscented....normal ones just make me itch all over.

jgold47

Reaction score
thanks everyone. I stumbled upon the wiring diagram for the dryer, and correct, it grounds through the drum, and actually back through the white wire to the panel. Adding or changing that around would likely have more issues down the line. I've tried using vinnegar in the wash and it seems to help. I guess I'll stick with that for now. I've also gotten these (allegedly) metal impregnated cloths that seem to be helping as well.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Great if it works for you.

Vinegar is used to set color in fabrics. I would not mix any New color fabrics.

Acid can be hard on the Mechanics also.

Enjoy.

jgold47

Reaction score
Great if it works for you.

Vinegar is used to set color in fabrics. I would not mix any New color fabrics.

Acid can be hard on the Mechanics also.

Enjoy.

youre using an extremely dilute amount of 5% vinegar. I'm guessing areas of the country have more acidic water than what this dilutes to.

assumedly, everything I'm washing is color safe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks