Max height for ceiling rain shower head?

Users who are viewing this thread

naadimre

Reaction score
hi all,

this is my first time posting. we are renovating our master bathroom and we want to vault the ceiling. the highest height will be over the shower. we are doing the Hansgrohe PuraVida 400 Air (15 inch) rectangular ceiling mount. i was thinking that we should level out the vault at around 10 ft so we don't have an incredibly long pipe for the shower head. my husband would like the ceiling to go higher (the max height we could go is 14ft).

my questions are:
-for a rain head shower of this size, what is a good height? i've heard 10-12 in above the tallest person (hubby is 6ft). But is 8 ft OK?

-if we decide to use a long pipe to make the shower head at ~8ft, will there be any issue with water hammer (something my contractor brought up), or other issues i'm not aware of?

-is this something routinely done (having a very long pipe)?

-what do plumbers normally do with a higher than normal ceiling height and a ceiling mount rain head? what is the longest pipe length you would recommend?

thanks!
reva

Reach4

Reaction score
Adding height to a shower head will not contribute to water hammer. A shower head does not normally have a quick-acting valve, and yours will not have one at all. Any water hammer would be due to water flowing in the pipe before the shutoff valve, and then only if the valve was somehow fast-acting.

I am sure there are other reasons to prefer a particular height.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Regardless of what you do, the water will cool off as it falls, the further it falls, the colder it will be AND, if you were to then switch to the 'conventional' showerhead, assuming it was the right temp coming out of the rain head when it got to you, it would likely be WAY too hot coming out of the one closer to you without changing things. So, from a functional viewpoint, you could probably put it anywhere, but from a user standpoint, closer is probably better.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I love rain heads up high. We have never had a problem with water hammer - not once.

Typically we installed them as high as possible and have done at least 4-6 at 8' heights. Again never once an issue.

naadimre

Reaction score
I love rain heads up high. We have never had a problem with water hammer - not once.

Typically we installed them as high as possible and have done at least 4-6 at 8' heights. Again never once an issue.

thanks for the replies.

@johnfrwhipple...with high ceilings, do you typically have a very long extension pipe? how are the aesthetics of that? what is the longest pipe you've had to install?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

@johnfrwhipple...with high ceilings, do you typically have a very long extension pipe? how are the aesthetics of that? what is the longest pipe you've had to install?

My lasty client agonized over this back and forth for a while.

We tried a 2" nipple and the rain head looked glued to the ceiling. Not good.

We tried a 12" nipple but then it was to close the his head (he is 5'11" 8' ceilings)

Then he custom ordered a 6" nipple and this looks fantastic.

Not the best shot but this is our last project.

Not to close to his head or ceiling.

I'm building a new Steamer this weak and the rain head will be recessed into the basement ceiling - flush mount. The ceiling height in this shower only about 84".

I always warn my clients to have flow control with these rain heads. If yours is full blast or nothing you might not like it so much.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At the ceiling with 14', it will be much cooler by the time it hits you after falling through 8' of air or so to hit your head. With a typical ceiling height and an average person, as high as possible should be perfectly fine.

michel ewert

Reaction score
Rain shower head should be a min 80” above shower floor but better at 84” to allow for a growing population as a typical male is 5’10” tall today but will increase over time to 6’ and more. Also the shower arm height ( typ. 4”) will need to be added to above to determine rough in height (supply pipe center). Finaly, even though slightly lower heights could work they will not allow full rain shower experience. Do not forget to add subfloor to interior shower pan height (typ. 2”) to above when roughing in prior to pan installation.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Rainfall heads typically hang from the ceiling, so there IS NO "rough in height" to be concerned with, just how far to hang it below the ceiling AFTER the shower is completed, and NO 'shower arm" either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks