1949 American Standard wall hung sink

Users who are viewing this thread

bruceha2000

Reaction score
Since I'm here posting my question about the kitchen sink, perhaps someone can answer this other question. Again, American Standard has no idea.

This sink was, I believe, originally wall hung based on Google searches though it was installed in a tiled counter (with a LOT of "stuff" to fill in the angled sides of the sink) when we bought the house. It really doesn't work well as a "built in" sink given the "decorative" freestanding form of the front and sides.

As you can see, there is only one hole in the back so that could not have been used to hold the sink. It does not, like the kitchen sink of the same age, have cast metal tabs on the back of the sink with matching stamped metal wall brackets. Plus, I don't see any signs of scraping on porcelain along the back edge of the sink that would indicate some sort of metal support had ever been slipped behind it. There are, however, 2 round holes and 2 slots under the edges of the sink so I wonder if there were some wall brackets that fit into them to hold the sink up?? Or maybe, it actually had some sort of legs and the single hole in the back was somehow used to keep the sink close to the wall? And if so, does anyone know where I could get such things? And if not, does anyone know where I might look for someone who would know?

PB080034.jpgPB080027.jpgPB080033.jpg

Thanks for any assistance!
Bruce

Reaction score
We had a similar sink before and the front holes are for legs. I believe the back rested on top of a bracket but I don't remember. Maybe the back of your sink rested on a bracket that stuck out below the sink. It's possible that there were no scratches on the back because it was never mounted correctly!

For some reason I can't post the link to one on eee-bay (it won't let me print the real name!) but if you go there and search for "Antique Vintage American Standard Bathroom Sink Ivory Roxbury" you'll see the sink I'm talking about.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The wall bracket was cast iron and had two "hooks" (for want of a better term), that the sink slipped down on to. When done properly, there would not be any reason to "scratch" the sink.

bruceha2000

Reaction score
We had a similar sink before and the front holes are for legs. I believe the back rested on top of a bracket but I don't remember. Maybe the back of your sink rested on a bracket that stuck out below the sink. It's possible that there were no scratches on the back because it was never mounted correctly!

For some reason I can't post the link to one on eee-bay (it won't let me print the real name!) but if you go there and search for "Antique Vintage American Standard Bathroom Sink Ivory 1950's 'Roxbury'" you'll see the sink I'm talking about.

That's the ticket! Now I just need to find some who has the brackets, legs and (looks like an option, but very slick) towel bars but broke their sink ;)

I would imagine the rear brackets wouldn't be that hard to find or something similar to them, just 90 degree metal with slots. The "T top" bolts, hmm, never seen anything like that before. I suppose, in a pinch, I could just make legs out of wood if I can't find any chromed metal legs.

Thanks a bunch for the pointer! Not many people seem to show the underside or back side of the items they are selling but it can be really helpful for those who have questions about similar items but need more info on what SHOULD be there.

Bruce

bruceha2000

Reaction score
Thanks Sam, but no. There are no tabs on the back of the bath sink to go into the slots. I found the ones you posted when trying to figure out how the kitchen sink should be attached to the wall. They matched the spacing on the tabs cast into the top back of the kitchen sink. I had to figure out that the spacing meant that 2 were needed. Remarkably inexpensive if I had to replace them. $35 each if I recall. Given they can't sell all that many of them, I was expecting a very high price.

I didn't remove the sink, the tornado of "deconstructors" blew threw and I didn't see the sink being taken down. Things just got moved "somewhere". After seeing the cast ones on the web, I KNEW I hadn't seen any of those around and figured I needed to buy them. Fortunately one of the carpenters had remembered seeing something with a similar description sitting on the dishwasher. They are stamped steel rather than cast. Original or not, they are now screwed into the wall and supporting the back of the sink. Left one cleaned of rust, right one, pre cleaning.

PB090037.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those brackets are for cast iron sinks. The ones he needs have metal "tabs" sticking up that the sink slides down onto. The modern ones, such as for an 0424.024 Comrade sink, which might fit, also have bent pieces on the bottom with holes in them that sit under the two slots, so you can use toggle bolts to anchor the sink down so it doesn't "hop off the wall" if someone bumped it up hard.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks