Please do not tune this channel...

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Due to Internet slowdowns and such, this problem is not your computer. Please do not adjust your Internet settings.

Amazon and Google must have agreed to make OB-Care websites Top Priority. Or did they ?

We now turn you back to your slow Internet provider, but your Healthcare provider is available to raise your rates.

Birth control for everyone over 65.

Have Fun Everyone.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Due to Internet slowdowns and such, this problem is not your computer. Please do not adjust your Internet settings.

Amazon and Google must have agreed to make OB-Care websites Top Priority. Or did they ?

We now turn you back to your slow Internet provider, but your Healthcare provider is available to raise your rates.

Birth control for everyone over 65.

Have Fun Everyone.

Oh, and this all happened while windows 8 got "UP" Graded to windows 8.1, and it took over my computer so I have to log on with my Microsoft email account password. I could have waited a day or 2 to know that I COULD have chosen to log on to my normal local account (MS says "not recommended") and local PC password. NO, me too numbed by waiting from 2pm downloading the "UPGRADE" until 11pm at night for the download to complete (very busy MS servers on Oct 17th). So I create a new local user admin account and find that all my goodies are protected in my microsoft login account.

So pissed off at Microsoft and the new IE11 that comes with Win 8.1, that I use Chrome browser now Almost tempted to restore my Windows 8.0 complete hard drive image. The longer I wait to do this if I chose to, the more difficult it will be to restore with all the other stuff I added since.
Only reason I have windows 8 is because that what my new Dell PC came with when I bought it in April.

It keeps me busy and out of trouble though. Early adopters suffer earlier. Older and not wiser :mad:

Boo

DonL

Reaction score
Oh, and this all happened while windows 8 got "UP" Graded to windows 8.1, and it took over my computer so I have to log on with my Microsoft email account password. I could have waited a day or 2 to know that I COULD have chosen to log on to my normal local account (MS says "not recommended") and local PC password. NO, me too numbed by waiting from 2pm downloading the "UPGRADE" until 11pm at night for the download to complete (very busy MS servers on Oct 17th). So I create a new local user admin account and find that all my goodies are protected in my microsoft login account.

So pissed off at Microsoft and the new IE11 that comes with Win 8.1, that I use Chrome browser now Almost tempted to restore my Windows 8.0 complete hard drive image. The longer I wait to do this if I chose to, the more difficult it will be to restore with all the other stuff I added since.
Only reason I have windows 8 is because that what my new Dell PC came with when I bought it in April.

It keeps me busy and out of trouble though. Early adopters suffer earlier. Older and not wiser :mad:

Boo

That update hosed a lot of computers.

Even Win7 machines were affected.

Do you use Restore points ?

They can get your Tit out of the wringer sometimes.

You should be able to "Open using different credentials" if you are logged in as another user and as administrator.

You can use the system "Administrator" user name that is built into Windows.

Good Luck.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That update hosed a lot of computers.

Even Win7 machines were affected.

Do you use Restore points ?

They can get your Tit out of the wringer sometimes.

You should be able to "Open using different credentials" if you are logged in as another user and as administrator.

You can use the system "Administrator" user name that is built into Windows.

Good Luck.
Hi Don,

I found the answer: NOT in the normal Control Panel User accounts, but in the Charm Bar (what a misnomer that is; some charm!), down at the bottom is change PC settings; when you click on THAT and then on accounts THERE, you are given a choice to "Disconnect". Chosing that, it asks you for your original Windows 8 local log on and password, and then: VOILA. Happiness restored for Bob.

I did not want to try a restore point after making such a big upgrade, but I did strongly consider doing my image restore. Glad I did not do that.

The answer I found was here: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-tip-change-to-a-local-account-in-windows-81/ by member "nsemrau" Thanks again nsemrau!!!:D

The creating of another local account at the top of this article was not even necessary, as my Original LOg in ID was amazingly Bob, and what I was left with for an ID after installing Win 8.1 was the email address you have for me (still, maybe).

Better explained, but hard to listen to voice, maybe. :

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Reaction score
Great that you got it going Bob. Did you make a Restore Point after the Fix ?

I do not like a OS that requires you to be on the Internet for it to work.

Cloud Storage is just a money maker, and is for people that do not have a clue.

What was wrong with "My Briefcase"

Have Fun.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Great that you got it going Bob. Did you make a Restore Point after the Fix ?

I do not like a OS that requires you to be on the Internet for it to work.

Cloud Storage is just a money maker, and is for people that do not have a clue.

What was wrong with "My Briefcase"

Have Fun.
My Briefcase is long gone, lol. I've used restore points in the past, but I had trouble with them. I would rather have full disk and also partition images of my hard drive. My hard drive is partitioned into 5 drive letters, (plus Dell's partitions in case I ever want to restore my PC to "factory fresh status" so it is easier for me to do various backups.

The C drive with Windows and all its crap is the one with the most changes and additions and the only one with grief. I use MS Windows live mail, which works fine for me, but unlike Outlook which has one nice PST file, live's files are deeply nested into all kinds of user folders, and they vary from win7 to Win 8. I use Win7 on my Dell laptop.

I have Two 2TB Fantom external ESATA and USB3 drives that I back everything up to. I don't trust the cloud either Don. If my HDE goes, I just pop in another one and boot up with Acronis. BUT, y new PC has the UEFI boot, not the old CMOS boot. I have not tried yet booting it from a CD or thumb drive. Gotta do that before I need to do that and find out it does not work:eek:

DonL

Reaction score
My Briefcase is long gone, lol. I've used restore points in the past, but I had trouble with them. I would rather have full disk and also partition images of my hard drive. My hard drive is partitioned into 5 drive letters, (plus Dell's partitions in case I ever want to restore my PC to "factory fresh status" so it is easier for me to do various backups.

The C drive with Windows and all its crap is the one with the most changes and additions and the only one with grief. I use MS Windows live mail, which works fine for me, but unlike Outlook which has one nice PST file, live's files are deeply nested into all kinds of user folders, and they vary from win7 to Win 8. I use Win7 on my Dell laptop.

I have Two 2TB Fantom external ESATA and USB3 drives that I back everything up to. I don't trust the cloud either Don. If my HDE goes, I just pop in another one and boot up with Acronis. BUT, y new PC has the UEFI boot, not the old CMOS boot. I have not tried yet booting it from a CD or thumb drive. Gotta do that before I need to do that and find out it does not work:eek:

Sounds like you have a nice setup.

I agree that Restore Points are not all that great, But better than nothing.

I do mirror disk images using dos and hardware drivers so that the OS does not mater. As close to a raw disk that you can get for a NTFS drive.

Do you have any new viruses to play with ?

Have Fun.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a nice setup.

I agree that Restore Points are not all that great, But better than nothing.

I do mirror disk images using dos and hardware drivers so that the OS does not mater. As close to a raw disk that you can get for a NTFS drive.

Do you have any new viruses to play with ?

Have Fun.
Don, I was wrong; I have my drive portioned into 8 volumes, not 5. I just did a complete Disk Image backup and selected each partition, so I counted them.

Even though I enjoy having decent hardware, I do not enjoy playing much with software. these days, I use my computer more like a useful (sometimes useless, lol) tool than as a hobby like I used to when I would build myself a new PC ever 1 or 2 years or so with a nice new ASUS MB and all new plug ins and hard drives. My last PC crapped out in March this year, and I just went out and bought a new Dell All in one with a 27 inch touch screen. It came with the touch screen, but I don't use it. I just did not feel like futzing with my last PC, so I bought the new one at Costco and restored my partition images to it using Acronis. One day, I'll play with the old PC and fix it.

DonL

Reaction score
Them all in ones are nice but are a pain to work on.

I recently repaired the power supply on a Dell Inspiron One and it was a bear.

2 hours and $2.00 later for a new cap it should last a bit longer.

Them power supplies have so much crammed in there, they have to under rate the parts just so they will fit in the cage.

Older and Bigger is Better.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This all in one is in a 27 inch monitor housing, so it should be easier than working on any laptop. I downloaded the user manual from Dell, which is really more of a repair manual, in the way it tells you step by step how to disassemble the unit and how to replace all the modules in it. I hope never to have to work on it. Buying it from Costco, it comes with a 2 year warranty instead of the usual 1 year, and because it is "large", it comes with in home service if I remember things correctly. We've had a "Dell" tech come to our office several times at work to work on our equipment, like replace the M/B on an OptiPlex.

2 hours shop time is more than the Power supply costs, I'd imagine, but you get all the money.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks