re: The most reliable shower pressure balancer system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gramps

Reaction score
I am redoing a basement shower and wish to add a pressure balancer. In the basement, the look of the finish is not of primary importance. I just want it to work well.

Is it better to install one separately to the shower head/handle assembly? or one unit that includes the balancer?
My concern is that I want a balance that is reliable. Who makes the most reliable pressure balancer or shower system with integrated balancer? Who to stay away from.
thanks
-g

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
if the fixturs are pricey, is there anything wrong with buying a reasonably priced fixture (moen maybe?), but using a good grohe balancer?, or must both products be the same.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Can I assume from these answers that there is no such thing as a "stand-alone" balancer that could be installed in the pipes before the shower valve? I would much rather buy a quality device like that and a cheap unbalanced valve than an expensive valve with a cheap plastic balancer built in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We haven't had problems with any of the new (if you consider twenty years new) pressure balance valves from Moen, Delta, Kohler, Price Pfister.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would thermostatic temperature control shower valve be better than a pressure balancing valve?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Would thermostatic temperature control shower valve be better than a pressure balancing valve?

I don't know that there is much difference.
The Thermostatic can be dialed for temperature, regardless of water heater temp.
With a non-thermostatic, you may need to turn the dial farther over, or less, depending on the water heater output.
Either way, they lock in pretty well.

In the 70's Installed the Moen 2620 single handles for my parents.
But then I was getting a few complaints when family came to visit. One day I took a shower there, while someone was using the kitchen, and that was enough for me.
I went back and installed Moen Posi-Temp.

That being said though, the home I'm in now has Moen 2620 valves, and the expansion tank in the garage helps to even the pressure quite a bit.
I've noticed in the last two homes, that adding an expansion tank makes a "big" difference in pressure balance issues.

DougB

Reaction score
When I remodeled the 2nd bath (about 4 years ago) I installed a Grohe thermostatic valve.

It's really nice - you can preset the temperature (there's a stop). Just turn on the water - no fiddling, no mixing, the set temp all the time.

You buy a Grohe rough-in box, then the valve / mixer / diverter that you want.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When they work, all the systems are effective, but since they are all mechanical devices, they all can fail, but repair or replacement is usually fairly simple.

Guy48065

Reaction score
OK to answer my own question I did a little Googling and found there ARE in-line pressure balancing valves. Would using one ahead of the shower valve--either just before it or under the floor--allow me to use standard 2-stem shower sets and pass code?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An inline pressure balancer lets you use a two handle valve.
If you have a soaking tub, many places want to see a tempering valve to prevent scalding too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks