constant air in plumbing after submersible pump change

Users who are viewing this thread

michla

Reaction score
Hi all,
I wrote before about submersible well pump brands and last week it was done. A pro changed my submersible pump with like kind in residential well, 86 feet deep with 6 inch casing and pump set at 60 feet with pitless adapter at 8 feet and artesian plug right above that. There's absolutely no problem with static water level in my area--in fact, there's too much ! Thus the artesian plug.

I called the pro 5 days after the pump was replaced because suddenly i seem to be drawing alot of air in the lines. Everytime I turn on the water in the house, there's violent "burps" of air from the spigots which usually expels about 15-20 seconds after first turning on the water. The pressure tank tested ok, new control box was installed too. This pro couldn't think of any reason so much air would get into the lines and the running water pressure hasn't changed--still 40psi.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this after the pump change/plug install? The pro suggested the house is still purging air from the lines since most of the residual water ran out, but almost a whole week of air now ? 1600 sq ft residence with two baths, three bedrooms, no extraordinary plumbing requirements. Is that to be expected or might something else be going on? Is it possible that even though there are no water leaks anywhere in the house (I have checked thoroughly thinking that) can air be drawn through a pinhole or gap but water can't get out ? (that would seem odd to me)

The air burps are popping out my faucet screens !

Thanks

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You must have a check valve above ground somewhere. Then either you do not have a check valve on the new pump, or that check valve is leaking back. I would remove the above ground check valve as it only causes extra problems anyway. Then if the pressure leaks back after the pump shuts off, the pump man will need to replace the check valve on the pump or fix a leak in the drop pipe.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My take on it too is that there is a topside checkvalve along with a leak letting in air. That or someone left in an airmaker (bleeder/snifter) when they changed out the galvanized tank for a bladder type.

michla

Reaction score
Just speaking to a friend who is quite knowledgeable, he is wondering if there isn't trapped air or gas in the aquifer that wasn't confined in the casing until we put the artesian plug in ! :eek:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just speaking to a friend who is quite knowledgeable, he is wondering if there isn't trapped air or gas in the aquifer that wasn't confined in the casing until we put the artesian plug in ! :eek:

That would be very rare, so I doubt it. Post some pics and we will help you find the check valve, because it has got to go.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It sounds to me as though the offence odor may be sulphur gas and the spurting may be the sulphur gas settling out in the lines and tank. In serious cases we've had to install a settling tank and sulphur release before the pressure tank to expel the gas.

michla

Reaction score
It sounds to me as though the offence odor may be sulphur gas

Suphur gas is not common in my area. Methane very much is and harvested for profit ! And Methane is most odifirous.
Earthquakes (albeit small nonetheless significant) certainly change water table flows and gas pocket releases a good bit from time to time. My residence is located near a swampy area too. The well is 86 feet with what has been a 6 foot static but that all changed 3 years ago especially with a wet climate cycle we're experiencing now.

Last edited:

michla

Reaction score
More to the point, does any air escape before the water comes?

Oh for sure, only on the hot water side of the tap tho.
Aforementioned knowledgable friend suggested that the heated hot water permits gas/water seperation much in the same way that heated water suspends the mineral content.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No, I meant when the plug is removed from the well.

Yes, heating water will cause it to release dissolved gasses. Also, the cold inlet to the HWT might be plumbed so that it accumulates air that is in the cold supply lines.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have one area where I drill that has flowing artesian wells, with an entrained gas. The wells have 3 to 6 psi at the surface and will flow 50 to 100 gpm. If the well is capped no gas enters the well. If the well is flowing, the gas bubbles are about the size of a quarter at the surface with no pressure. Running a video down hole, the bubbles get progressively smaller until you can't hardly see them.

I flanged the top of the well and put a continuously acting air relief valve on the top flange to exhaust the gas in the well and on on the drop pipe on top of the tee where the drop pipe comes thru the flange. I installed a well mate tank non bladder tank with an air valve. They have no gas left in their water. The neighbors will have a drinking glass almost blow out of their hand when they go to get a drink of water from the faucet

michla

Reaction score
I flanged the top of the well and put a continuously acting air relief valve on the top flange to exhaust the gas in the well and on on the drop pipe on top of the tee where the drop pipe comes thru the flange.

Ingenious ! Wish you could be in my service area ......:eek:
Might you be able to share the source of that air relief valve for the top cap ?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I used waterman 1" continuously acting air reliefs. They are made to release air while under pressure. They retail in the $65 area. I purchased them from my local distributor 2M. They are now stocking one I like even better that is made by netafim. The air relief on it ends in a hose barb so that you can connect tubing to it to direct the escaping gases outside.

Too bad there isn't still the NAHL hockey team in Wasilla. I could have had someone bring it up to you when the Wenatchee Wild traveled up there to play.

You pump guy should be able to get one thru Alaska Pump & Supply.

michla

Reaction score
I used waterman 1" continuously acting air reliefs.

I could have had someone bring it up to you when the Wenatchee Wild traveled up there to play.

You pump guy should be able to get one thru Alaska Pump & Supply.

Indeed ! Alot of things have changed in Wasilla over the years, it's more like the lower 48 every year so hang onto your hockey pucks...
Meanwhile, appreciate those leads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks