Rusty Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Toy

Reaction score
Please explain why my tub keeps rusting like this. I've applied CLR (Calcium Lime & Rust) 3 times and it keeps going back to its usual stage. What can I do to save me some money or should I just call a professional?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 438
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 433

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that the only place with such rust? The inside of your toilet tank is not rusty?

Is the finish all worn off there? If not , try putting a plastic container over that spot, and see if the rust is dripping down from the shower head.

Toy

Reaction score
It's the only place. I don't think it's the shower head. And yes the finish is worn.

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for tub refinishing OR reglaze in your favorite search engine. I don't have personal experience with that, but you should find a lot of references in a search engine.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would look into replacing the tub.

You can re-glaze it for about $300, and it would last 2-5 years.
You can clean it weekly - for the price of a cleaner.
Or you can install a new tub: an enamel steel tub (about $225 + labor) is good for 10-20 years. Cast iron (Kohler is around $400 + labor) is good for longer. YMMV.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure that's not rust from the water?
Often we get a bit of rust in the tub from the galvanized pipes.
Even a home run in copper may have galvanized pipe for the tub spout.

Toy

Reaction score
Just that little spot will cost me $300?. Wow!! I'm just a renter. I showed the landlord, he humped his shoulders and said it could be iron in the water that's causing it. Which means he didn't care I guess. I probley won't be replacing the tub nor reglazing for that price. But thanks so much!

Toy

Reaction score
Are you sure that's not rust from the water?
Often we get a bit of rust in the tub from the galvanized pipes.
Even a home run in copper may have galvanized pipe for the tub spout.

Yea he stated that it could be the water. But he said the water could have iron in it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try putting a plastic container over that spot, and see if the rust is dripping down from above.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just that little spot will cost me $300?. Wow!! I'm just a renter. I showed the landlord, he humped his shoulders and said it could be iron in the water that's causing it. Which means he didn't care I guess. I probley won't be replacing the tub nor reglazing for that price. But thanks so much!

Re-glazers do entire tubs.

About the landlord: the least he could offer you was a whole house filter ($20 + $6 for a filter at Lowes). Ask him about it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT looks like an enameled steel tub and if so the finish is gone in that area and the steel is rusting through it. I would never invest a penny into refinishing a steel tub, nor would I install one, unless the customer bought it so I did not have to guarantee its performance or durability.

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess you could try car wax on the spot after you clean the rust off, and dry the spot after each tub use. Reapply wax as needed.

Read about https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=116

I have no personal knowledge of it. I don't know how it would be as a touch up vs covering the whole tub. Consult with the landlord beforehand.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're a renter, and have alerted the landlord, unless he is willing to install a new tub, I think you'll just have to live with it. Touching anything like that could get really messy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Just that little spot will cost me $300?.

The CANNOT do "just that little spot". There is no way they could match the "old" color after all those years so would have to redo the entire tub, and I do not think they could do that for just $300.00. A tub "reliner" maybe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks