Outdoor PVC pipe and saddle tee question about maximum pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

hamlet_jones

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a 1-1/2 pvc supply pipe in a 1100 foot run from my well to my house. I need to tap into this near the middle section for irrigation supply to a planned orchard.

I am contemplating using a sch40 saddle tee. I've dug up the pipe (36 inches deep). Of course, there is no lateral flex in the line, so either it's a saddle tee or
I cut out a chunk and splice in a regular tee paired with a compression coupling.

Thoughts?

How much psi will a saddle tee take? My line is 65psi.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't use a saddle tee. They are trouble waiting to happen. You also must install a back flow prevention device where you branch off and the connections would be made with unions. You should consult with an irrigation supply company for the bests BF device. These are supposed to be re-certified annually by a licensed inspector. Idaho may not enforce these regulations, but you sure don't want contaminated water drawn back into you domestic supply.

hamlet_jones

Reaction score
Jogging sideways in a ditch? Story of my life... :rolleyes:

I want to avoid the downtime with glue, so I may use compression. This line also supplies a rental home, and cabin. Trying to keep everybody happy.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The last water service leak I worked on, I had to remove the leaking compression fitting they had used to repair a previous leak. It was a dressler coupling I removed.

If you are using glued fittings, give it and hour and turn the water back on.
That's what I like doing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Saddles are often used on larger pipe sizes to make a connection, but are seldom used with smaller sizes. If you do use one be sure to use hose clamps on both ends plus primer and glue on the pipe and saddle. Put the saddle on BEFORE you make the hole in the pipe. I fact, with my tools, I would also install the valve, then I could drill the hole without turning off the water, then close the valve when I removed the drill.

hamlet_jones

Reaction score
Interesting. Will a well primed, glued, and CLAMPED saddle last? I like the part about drilling it with the valve installed! (Ball valve?) I'm sure you're using some kind of splash-shield and a cordless drill to prevent electrocution...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks