What makes compression fittings leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
I was pressure testing a repair I made on a faucet and got bubbles. Not from my solder, though. The 1/2MIP to 3/8" compression fitting was leaking at the crimp band AND the taped threads. All fittings are brand new, undamaged and had good clean threads. The ferrule was tightened until there was a visible "waist" on the 3/8 copper tube (new). Am I doing something wrong or:
1 - should I dope up everything with paste as a mater of practice? or
2 - will this be leak-free to water and only leaks thinner air?

First picture shows the setup. 80psi is trapped in supply line and placed underwater.

Second picture is taken underwater and shows the bubbles forming all over this wrench-tight fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Probably because the No lead connections are to hard of a material to compress properly.

And the Metric conversions are just enough off that a good seal is not possible unless you over tighten them.

Just my guess.

Tighten just till they break then back them off 1/4 turn, Then buy a good one.

Looks like your setup is using a flare fitting ?

Have Fun.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure that's even a tapered thread on the chrome adapter. Many fittings like that for faucets are straight threads that are meant to pull up tight. Not snug up to a taper.
Lav supplies and lav nuts are cut and threaded straight, without a taper.

The compression side with sleeve; those I use some light oil and tighten up.

index.php

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you use tape on an actual compression fitting's threads, THAT will cause it to leak! Tape or dope is only required on a tapered threaded plumbing fitting. Straight threaded connections rely on either compression or a gasket of some sort to make the seal, and the threads and nut are only to compress things together to create the seal (and thus, are not tapered and require no sealing material in them).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I face a situation like this, I immediately go to plan B: replace the compression with a male adopter.

Guy48065

Reaction score
The chrome adapter was tagged 1/2"MIP - 3/8" compression. It's not a fitting that came with the faucet--it's part of the pressure test jig. When I'm ready to use the faucet I'll cut the copper tubes shorter and use a pair of braided 3/8 - 3/8 hoses to connect to the stop valves.

The 1/2" tapered pipe end of the fitting has 2 layers of tape on it. I'm surprised it leaks--brass and plated brass normally have nice smooth threads with no voids. As for the compression band I suppose I could just keep cranking on it & see if it stops but that just shouldn't be necessary--the parts are new, clean and dry. Maybe a dab of oil or grease is a good idea, but I thought the crimp of the brass ferrule on the bare copper should be done dry to insure they fuse together.

DonL

Reaction score
May be the difference is made in USA and made in China. The pipe bottoms out before the threads are tight.

If you do like Terry recommends , a little lube will let you get the compression tight without breaking it.

Good Luck

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What do you mean by a "waist" on the tubing? Once you deform the copper, it is almost impossible to NOT have a leak until you torque it even further. Chrome fittings may leak because the plating on the threads can cause an incompatibility.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering about the chrome but that was the only type in stock. I never have issues with brass fittings.
What do you mean by a "waist" on the tubing? Once you deform the copper, it is almost impossible to NOT have a leak until you torque it even further.
That's the point of my question--even something this simple has a right and a wrong way to do it and I may be doing it wrong. It's not like fittings come with instructions... :)
The ferrule HAS to deform the copper or it won't fuse to it and seal without slipping. It can potentially leak between the ferrule and tube, between the ferrule and fitting seat, or between the ferrule and cap. That's a lot of surfaces on one connection. I'm assuming this is a fluke (since there are no "happens all the time" replies) but both supply lines leak at the same rate and since the fitting only comes with 1 ferrule & cap, the 2nd set came out of a bag of replacements that aren't even from the same mfr.

Do the 3/8"OD fittings on hose (SS braided or reinforced vinyl) seal any better?

Guy48065

Reaction score
I think I need to hit a different supply and find a solid, unplated, brass adapter.

Or just drop it--I'm satisfied my solder isn't leaking.

Guy48065

Reaction score
??
Going all plastic & crimps?
Brass is now a precious metal?
My leaky fitting has persuaded you to give up on compression fittings?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My leaky fitting has persuaded you to give up on compression fittings?

We use compression fittings all day. No issues.
Brass is being phased out in 2014 because of lead on potable water.
Once more reason so many faucets are coming with plastic supply lines.

brass-mip-comp.jpg

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
We use compression fittings all day. No issues.
Brass is bein phased out in 2014 because of lead on potable water.
Once more reason so many faucets are coming with plastic supply lines.

That does suck. I think.

There is nothing wrong with a compression fitting if installed properly.

I will take lead over plastic any day. Plastic can make you sick also.

Have Fun Everyone.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The ferrule HAS to deform the copper or it won't fuse to it and seal without slipping.

Incorrect. The edges of the ferrule press against the tubing to seal. IF they deformed the copper, it would be VERY difficult to "pull' the ferrules and the deformation would prevent new ones from sealing. Neither of which is the case in a proper compression joint. (In fact some will just slide off once the nut is loosened if it is type "L" or "K" tubing.) Tubing is very strong, UNTIL you deform it and then further deformation occurs very easily which is why you would have to tighten it VERY excessively to get it to seal.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Well then I AM doing it wrong. I always thought ferrules were supposed to be crimped on so they can never move. Permanent. If I had to estimate the torque I typically use I would say maybe 10 foot-pounds on a 3/8 line.

DonL

Reaction score
Normally the ferrule will bite into the tubing, and if the connector needs replaced, you need a new ferrule and need to cut back to a new place on the tubing.

The copper does get pinched, and the ferrule will not move on the tubing, after you tighten it then take it apart.

Have Fun.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The fitting doesn't need to be so tight it deforms the pipe to seal. You can make it tight enough to deform the pipe, and if you do, would need a puller (or cut it off) to remove it. Since that isn't uncommon is one reason why the tool exists. I haven't taken that many apart, but on those that I have, they weren't leaking, and I was able to pull the ferrule off without needing a tool. All that's required is intimate contact, not a depression or crimp effect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks