Sewer pipe liner?

Users who are viewing this thread

quick72toy

Reaction score
Sorry this is sort of a double post.
Is it acceptable to use PVC pipe pushed inside clay pipe as a sewer liner?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is a guess, though, but as long as the diameter of the pvc you use meets the requirements in size and would fit, I don't see why not. But, keep in mind that the clay pipe may not have very consistent slope and may not be the best choice for a trouble-free result.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I too am guessing that it would be OK, but I can see a couple of problems. The PVC pipe will be straight. The Clay pipe may have some dips and/or may be broken with a broken piece projecting into the pipe cavity. Either of these would make threading the PVC through impossible. Now, there are companies that use a bursting process that can do this kind of job, but it's obviously a costly process compared to just pushing a pipe through.

Kerry Gilbertson

Reaction score
I don't think that there will be any kind of problem in using PVC pipe with clay pipe if there is proper sealing between the two and there is no leakage problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There would be no need for "sealing" if the PVC is slid all the way through the clay but to do that would mean that the clay would have to be 4", (and straight), and the PVC would have to be 3", which could be a problem if the upstream line connecting to the 4" was also 4". The bigger problem is that couplings would NOT fit into the 4" clay pipe so you would have to dig down every 20' and remove the clay to make room for the coupling.

Last edited:

quick72toy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Thought it was a 6" main, but It ended up being 10" My concern was (as you guys expressed ) they were just cutting corners trying to fit the PVC in, instad of a epoxy sock liner.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I thought this was a house sewer, NOT a city main sewer. There is no way a PVC pipe inside the larger pipe would be acceptable for a main line because, by definition, it would create a restriction.

quick72toy

Reaction score
I thought this was a house sewer, NOT a city main sewer. There is no way a PVC pipe inside the larger pipe would be acceptable for a main line because, by definition, it would create a restriction.

It is a house sewer. It's a private mutual line that is shared by 4 houses, and runs across the properties, and then dumps into the city main. The liner would only run in the root damaged section.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHO installed a 10" main line for 4 houses. A 6" sewer will take care of a whole block, or two, as a city main. Some towns do not even have a 10" main.

quick72toy

Reaction score
WHO installed a 10" main line for 4 houses. A 6" sewer will take care of a whole block, or two, as a city main. Some towns do not even have a 10" main.

LOL I know, but I guess 100 years ago they thought that was the right thing to do. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Maybe in Canada, but I cannot visualize ANY plumber, during any century who would have done it. Besides, the main line it was connected to would have to have been at least 10" in diameter which would have been rare at that time.

quick72toy

Reaction score
Maybe in Canada, but I cannot visualize ANY plumber, during any century who would have done it. Besides, the main line it was connected to would have to have been at least 10" in diameter which would have been rare at that time.

A lot of our sewer systems are a lot different than you have there. During the 1920's, that area was on the outskirts of a rapidly growing segment of the city. During that time, there were a lot of open creeks and streams that provided a place for the rain and stormwater runoff. Many of them were filled in, to provide more useable land for the construction boom.
The first sewers built were large collector combination sewers that carried both the wastewater and stormwater. (Up untill recently, most houses rain eavestroughs were tied into it's main) Since 1960, no new combined sewers have been permitted and stormwater runoff and wastewater are carried in separate pipes. In the early 1960s until the mid 1980s, the City underwent a road sewer separation project, but a lot of the old ifrastucture still exists hence the 10" private main.

To give you an idea of some of the history.
http://www.vanishingpoint.ca/sewers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks