No water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Eldonw

Reaction score
I have replaced the well pump, the pressure switch, and the pressure guage.

When the pressure drops below 30lbs the switch engages and the pump starts until it shuts off at 50lbs.

The water barely trickles when the pump is off. When it kicks in the water flows much more but not at normal pressure.

Is this a problem with the pressure tank or could it be something else?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is it a bladder tank? If so, likely a plugged tank Tee or port.

What pressure range did you have before? Maybe you want 40/60? How much pressure can your pump make? You don't want to set it too high if the pump will deadhead.

Eldonw

Reaction score
It is a bladder tank. It was and is 30/50. When I held the points closed it went to 70lbs and then I stopped it.

The plugged tank or t make the most sense to me.

I guess I should start taking things apart? Can you unplug the tank.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clean the aerators in your faucets.

Unless you have an in line filter, all the debris that got disturbed when you pulled the pump is in suspension in the water and has plugged the aerators.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The aerators just unscrew from the end of the faucet. Rinse with water or use a toothbrush to clean the debris.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The water barely trickles when the pump is off. When it kicks in the water flows much more but not at normal pressure.

It sounds like two things at play. Whether the pump is on or off should not change the pressure if all you have are plugger aerators. 50 PSI coming from the tank should be stronger than 30 PSI coming from the pump, unless the tank Tee or port is clogged. Maybe the bladder is busted and blocking the port.

Run some tests at a garden hose where there are no aerators. Are there any inline filters on the system?

Eldonw

Reaction score
There are no inline filters.

The aerators have been removed. This does not change anything.

The garden hose outside behaves the same way as the faucet. When the pump is off the water trickles when it is on the pressure is much more but not full pressure.

I removed the connector from the well pump to the t and also the faucet from the pressure tank. There did not seem to be blockage. I also did not think that where the pipe screws into the pressure tank had any blockage either.

When I put things back together the hose from the t produced full pressure when the pump was running. It did not develop enough pressure to turn the the pressure switch off however.

Pressure Tank.jpg

I closed the spigot from the t. The water from the faucets in the kitchen, the bathroom, and the hose outside would trickle and then when the pump is on the pressure is much better although not full.

Sometimes dirty water would come out but then it would clear up.

I left the bathroom and kitchen faucets on for quite some time and the would cycle through this as the pressure in the tank went down and the pump would turn on. Because the pressure at the faucet was low it would take quite some time to cycle though this process.

When I asked how to unclog it I meant the T and the Port. Is the port where the pipe screws into the tank?

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Replace the pressure tank the bladder is gone. There's a good chance it's laying in the bottom of the tank and blocking the tapping.

John

Eldonw

Reaction score
Ok thanks I suspected that yesterday but when it would slowly drain and not be waterlogged then I thought different. This is a giant learning experience for me and I so appreciate all the help that I have received from everyone. Thank you to all!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Maybe the bladder is busted and blocking the port.

Replace the pressure tank the bladder is gone. There's a good chance it's laying in the bottom of the tank and blocking the tapping.

John
Yes, I suspected that. Still, there is the issue of the pressure not being as good as before, even with the pump running. There are several issues at play here. Maybe crud in the lines/Tee as well?

What kind of pump, jet or sub? What GPM rating? Maybe a partially clogged jet on the pump?

Eldonw

Reaction score
I think that there is crud in the lines. I'm not sure how to clear them. That was why I left the faucets running. I was hoping that it would clear itself out.

I took it apart and the t is not cloged.

The pump produces 10gpm. It is a Simer.
The pump is brand new.

It being just the pressure tank didn't really make total sense to me but I am learning everyday! lol

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The pump produces 10gpm.

A 1/2" hose bib will typically allow about 6 GPM through it. Have you measured how many GPM you are getting?

A pump runs on a curve and achieves its rated GPM at a specific pressure based on total head. IF the pump cannot shut off while you run the hose, then it might not be producing the rated GPM.

When people complain about pressure, it really is about the flow.

Eldonw

Reaction score
I know when the system is closed it has no problem building it up to pressure. It doesn't take very long at all.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Well... I would plot the curve with a bucket and a stopwatch in around 5 PSI increments just so I know what I am getting. Obviously, you have only your memory to compare to what you were getting before, but if it is your perception that you have less pressure now than before even with the pump running, you need to start somewhere.

Did you bring up a lot of crud when the pump was first set? Maybe the intake on the pump is being blocked?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks