Connect lav drain directly into toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

econjon

Reaction score
Is it code to wet vent toilet with lav with san-T in closet stack

A few years ago I added a second bath. I had read that it was ok to wet vent the toilet with the lav stack as long as the stack was 2" and not too far away. Problem is the city inspector wants to see the underground fittings. So I have just cut out the work, and I'm not sure it's up to code. Looks like I connected the lav drain directly into the toilet drain with a san t before the closet bend.

EDIT: I found this (5t picture down in link) that says it should be ok. http://www.3dplumbing.net/ontplumbing/wet_vent.htm

I have attached three pictures. In all it is about 3 feet horizontal distance from toilet to stack. The concrete saw found the lav drain so going to replace. But do I need to rework the connection into toilet drain?

20130918_172015 v2.jpg

20130918_172035 v2.jpg

20130918_172005 v2.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is up to the inspector. If it were a washing machine, it would be a problem, but a sink SHOULD be okay. How did the city inspector get involved, since it is usually not a problem once the concrete is poured, especially years later.

econjon

Reaction score
It's my own fault! I did the bathroom unpermitted originally. I self reported so I could get the appraiser to include it.

Also, what do you think is the best way to redo cut up waste pipes? Seems I've got fittings all the way up the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A toilet can be wet vented with a lav using a 3x2 santee on the vertical.
The lav must be on the same floor as the toilet.

The lav must also be vented by a santee if on it's vertical. I can't tell by the picture if that is the case here. You should have a vent coming out of the top of the santee where the trap arm exits the wall.

Here are a few ways too.

dwv_b1.jpg

Last edited:

econjon

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. There is a santee where the trap arm meets the vertical drain (behind drywall in 3rd picture). Is the 22.5 and Y below it ok where that drain meets vent stack?

econjon

Reaction score
why is there a "Y" above the sanitary tee?

The wye (sorry I'm a novice) is accommodating a lav drain. That drain goes into from trap arm into wall and elbow strait down and then jogs over to the main stack/drain (picking up the wye). The other lav connects to the main stack via santee.

Two other questions came up when I was replacing the cut up wet vent.

1) I think I just used a 3" elbow below soil stack. Is that legal?
2) I used 2" wet vent for toilet. Do I need to swap it out for 3"?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; That drain goes into from trap arm into wall and elbow strait down

If the inspector sees THAT, he will turn the job down, because it is "illegal". In most cases the answers to #1 and #2 would be yes, but that can depend on your specific circumstances.

econjon

Reaction score
Here's a bit more detail. the lav on the left has a santee and vent up and around the lav on the right. the lav on the right has the elbow in the wall and jogs down to the stack

20130920_091427 v3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Then the lav on the left if fine, and the lav on the right needs to have a santee, not a 90 where it stubs out, with a vent going up too. Those can tie together in a revent at 42"

The stack that this all ties into should be a vent from the lavs on up. No waste from a floor above.

econjon

Reaction score
Gotcha. This is all on one floor single story house. Since the vent for left lav crosses behind mirror, can I do either of these options?20130920_091427 v4.jpg

econjon

Reaction score
Thank you. The inspector flaked out on me today. So I'll find out it everything's good to go on Monday.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
His option #1 looks like a vent tied into the riser lower than 42". Option #2 MAY be high enough, but option #3 connecting to the horizontal vent would be best. I hope you realize that you would probably not have had any problem originally, but once you opened the "can of worms" the city had to get involved.

econjon

Reaction score
Thanks hj, you're right option 1 isn't 42" but option 2 is. And believe, my my wife has helped me understand the can of worms I've opened many times!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was assuming that option 1 was a santee going straight up.
Since that is not the case, and since I don't think I even understand your drawing at this time, I will concur with hj on option 2, if that means the revents are at 42"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks