How do I find tub drain in roughed-in basement bath?

Users who are viewing this thread

VonChuck

Reaction score
I would like to finish a roughed-in Basement Bath.
The original plumber told me he would have put a drain for the tub, but could not remember which side.
I cut exploration holes where the dap-out would be and have dug down about 10", but cannot find a drain pipe.
What do I do next ?

A few details:
* House was built in 2004.
* 3" waste pipe goes down 19", from floor to bend, in direction of arrow.
* 2" lav pipe goes down 8" from floor to bend, in direction of arrow. (This pipe extends up to roof as 1.5" vent.)
* Left wall is back of house. Right side is toward street.
* Distance from left dap-out to 3" waste is 2 feet.

w_Base-tub-toilet-2.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should have called a pipe locator BEFORE you busted the slab. Pipe locators are so accurate, they leave nothing guessing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is absolutely nothing that a "pipe locator" could have used to find a buried dead end plastic line. If he was a "real plumber" he would have put a "box", filled with dirt, at the end of the pipe which would have been covered with a "skim coat" of concrete. If so, tap on the floor with a hammer until you hear a "hollow" sound. Otherwise, the only way is to start breaking concrete, and hope he REALLY did install the pipe at that location. I would have put it at the "right" side of the tub closest to the other plumbing.

VonChuck

Reaction score
Thanks "hj" and Terry.
I was a bit concerned when I couldn't find a skimmed-over dap-out box.
The original Licensed Plumber stopped by and told me he thought there would be a pipe, but could not remember back that far in detail. Building plans specified a tub in this area.

He also told me that the 2"drain/1.5" vent pipe was enough venting for tub/toilet/2 sinks; does that sound correct?
The house is in the city of North Salt Lake and uses the 2009 IPC.

w_2510.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing that a "pipe locator" could have used to find a buried dead end plastic line.

A pipe locator would insert a metal fish line from the 3" riser towards the tub area and locate the pipe with his ultrasound device. Works every time and worth the money.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
A pipe locator would insert a metal fish line from the 3" riser towards the tub area and locate the pipe with his ultrasound device. Works every time and worth the money.

The 3" riser would not head towards the tub. The only way to locate would be ground penitrating radar but with the cost of having that done you could jackhammer and redo the concrete for much less!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks