new bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Boilermaker27

Reaction score
I have tried every way to install a shower in my roughed in area in the basement. No matter how I lay it out it just won't work. The contractor installed roughed in plumbing for a bathtub and it looks like I will have to put in a bathtub. My question is quick and easy. There are three types of bathtubs, cast iron, steel and acrylic. I have an acrylic bathtub and a acrylic shower in the main bathroom. I find the acrylic can get dirty and when it does it's really hard to get clean, I even went to a plumbing supply and bought some of their cleaner and it won't get it sparkling white. Talked to a plumber and he suggested a steel bathtub, said much easier to work with, I did look at steel bathtubs and they look nice but they are painted with an enamel fiinish and seem rather flimsy. The big box store has an American Standard cast iron bathtub on sale for a bit over $250, regular price is almost $400. I know it weights over 300 pounds but it seems to me the porcelain finish is much easier to clean and the tub would look and feel better. I know the installation and weight would be much harder, but it is in a basement and I can drive the tub right to the walkin area and put it on moving dollies. So, any advice?

Boilermaker27

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, I went with the cast iron Kohler, don't think I can go wrong plus don't have to bust up any concrete.

Boilermaker27

Reaction score
One other question. I went to Home Depot and talked with a retired union plumber. He told showed me what I needed to do to set the trap under the bathtub, he also told me that when I get done not to fill the concrete box with concrete, but rather just leave the gravel and perhaps cover it to the top with sand. Makes sense as if there was ever a trap problem there would be no way to fix it without busting out the concrete, and I will be able to get to all the plumbing from the inside wall as it is in a basement and the back wall will be covered with plywood as the bathroom backs to a shop area?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
One other question. I went to Home Depot and talked with a retired union plumber. He told showed me what I needed to do to set the trap under the bathtub, he also told me that when I get done not to fill the concrete box with concrete, but rather just leave the gravel and perhaps cover it to the top with sand. Makes sense as if there was ever a trap problem there would be no way to fix it without busting out the concrete, and I will be able to get to all the plumbing from the inside wall as it is in a basement and the back wall will be covered with plywood as the bathroom backs to a shop area?

You can use slush (light weight mortar) to give the finished floor a solid backing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cast iron is best, but when I don't want to work with the extra weight, I use Americast. Steel tubs are the absolute last option. Quite often, you have to process several to get one that is not dented or chipped.

Kerry Gilbertson

Reaction score
Cast Iron would be expensive as compared to others and will require some extra labour to install it but i will suggest you to use this one because of its durability and variety.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks