Low pump pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

stolog

Reaction score
Looking for some advice before I pull the pump out of the well to make sure I've tried everything else first.

I've got a 100' well with a 3/4hp submersible 3 wire pump.
I'm only getting about 40 psi max out of the pump.
The switch was set at 50/60.
I have a cycle stop valve installed but the entire setup is in a well pit so I can check the pressure before the valve.
There is a check valve installed between the pump and the cycle stop and I'm taking readings between the pump and check valve.

The pump is drawing about 9 amps per leg and the pump winding resistance is within spec.

Running the pump maintains around 25-30psi and I have no problem pumping 20 or 30 gallons so it's not running dry.
When the pump turns off the pressure on the pump side drops to 0.

At this point I'm thinking the impeller on the pump is worn out or there is a hole/split in the polyethylene pipe?
I know I replaced the pump several years ago but did not replace the polyethylene pipe.

Any thoughts or suggestions other than pull the pump and see what comes out of the hole?

Right now I have adjusted the pressure switch and tank down to run at 30-40 and turn the pump off when not in use till I figure out what happened.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Corroded fitting at the pump, split in the drop pipe or worn out pump with a bad check valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks