Exercise for people over 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
It's tough but I did it!!

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.

Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

Cookie

Reaction score
Peggy, a high school girlfriend sent me that, and, I sat and laughed at that. I thought it was really funny.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Funny yes, but it sounds a lot like the exercise routine after I messed up my right shoulder a few years ago doing military presses with 160lbs.

Getting old sucks...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Peggy, a high school girlfriend sent me that, and, I sat and laughed at that. I thought it was really funny.
The name Peggy reminds me of this series of cute TV commercials, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have potatoes, but I have onions.

Can I use onions instead?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That was funny.

I guess I missed Cookies post.

Why is she always picking on us old folks ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I started reading the first post to my son Jamie, and he about had a fit. As strong as he is, he couldn't imagine lifting fifty pound sacks out like that.
And then I read the part about putting potatoes in the bag, and he breathed a deep sigh of relief. He was getting a bit worried there.

DonL

Reaction score
I started reading the first post to my son Jamie, and he about had a fit. As strong as he is, he couldn't imagine lifting fifty pound sacks out like that.
And then I read the part about putting potatoes in the bag, and he breathed a deep sigh of relief. He was getting a bit worried there.

I was wondering how old folks can afford to buy Potatoes now a days.

Even the cans of soup are expensive to use as weights.

Old folks cant even afford to eat cat food now a days, with the high cost of drugs and healthcare.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how old folks can afford to buy Potatoes now a days.

Even the cans of soup are expensive to use as weights.

Old folks cant even afford to eat cat food now a days, with the high cost of drugs and healthcare.
Yummy, don't knock it till you try it. UGH! just kidding.

DonL

Reaction score
Yummy, don't knock it till you try it. UGH! just kidding.

I knew a little old lady that would eat Caned Cat Food on Crackers.

She had to stop because Crackers were getting to expensive.

Cookie

Reaction score
I have a male cousin who used to take empty coffee cans and fill them with sand to use as weights.

Years ago, on a nice day I decided to walk down a very steep hill with my 2 little boys to Kmart. We saw an assortment of different small exercise hand held weights about 10 pounds a piece. We bought them. We each had a set and a set for their dad.

I couldn't carry them all up the hill, and the youngest was getting tired and wanted carried, that was the day I could had been taken in for child abuse, lol. We pushed, those weights up the hill, and then, I saw a shortcut. All we had to do was to climb over a fence but, there in the bushes was a very unhappy, very angry, bird of some kind who had eggs. It was kind of marshy and mucky and,the bird started chasing the kids who couldn't run in the muck. The kids were screaming, the bird was squawking and large in size, and my youngest was screaming that it was a Pterodactyl and going to eat him.

I pitched all the weights and grabbed the kids. With the bird hovering around me squawking, slowly... I managed to pluck my way out out of the muck carrying 2 kids.

Later we got those weights and after all that trouble, hardly, ever used. I got muscles moving them to dust under them.

Should had passed them on to my cousin with the coffee cans.

We had just bought this house back then when they were born, and I didn't know the area. Once, we walked in the door, all muddy and exhausted, the kids crying and telling daddy that mommy made them push bar bells up a hill, and a Pterodactyl tried to eat them, lol... he asked, " what barbells? and, Dinosaurs?"

Later, we walked down to the muck and the Pterodactyl and he said, " Lucy, what did you do?"

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Cookie,

That must have been a sight to see.

All because your husband asked you to get a 6 pack for him.

Bless Your Heart.

Have Fun.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a male cousin who used to take empty coffee cans and fill them with sand to use as weights.

Years ago, on a nice day I decided to walk down a very steep hill with my 2 little boys to Kmart. We saw an assortment of different small exercise hand held weights about 10 pounds a piece. We bought them. We each had a set and a set for their dad.

I couldn't carry them all up the hill, and the youngest was getting tired and wanted carried, that was the day I could had been taken in for child abuse, lol. We pushed, those weights up the hill, and then, I saw a shortcut. All we had to do was to climb over a fence but, there in the bushes was a very unhappy, very angry, bird of some kind who had eggs. It was kind of marshy and mucky and,the bird started chasing the kids who couldn't run in the muck. The kids were screaming, the bird was squawking and large in size, and my youngest was screaming that it was a Pterodactyl and going to eat him.

I pitched all the weights and grabbed the kids. With the bird hovering around me squawking, slowly... I managed to pluck my way out out of the muck carrying 2 kids.

Later we got those weights and after all that trouble, hardly, ever used. I got muscles moving them to dust under them.

Should had passed them on to my cousin with the coffee cans.

We had just bought this house back then when they were born, and I didn't know the area. Once, we walked in the door, all muddy and exhausted, the kids crying and telling daddy that mommy made them push bar bells up a hill, and a Pterodactyl tried to eat them, lol... he asked, " what barbells? and, Dinosaurs?"

Later, we walked down to the muck and the Pterodactyl and he said, " Lucy, what did you do?"
Cute story!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks