Gas Heater, Extended Recovery Time, Perceived Low Volume of Hot Water

Users who are viewing this thread

budrn

Reaction score
I have a gas fired heater, approximately 8 years old. I am the only one in my household. Recently, the heater takes hours to replace the hot water I use. If I shower there is little really hot water to use in the kitchen and it may be 4-6 hours before I have any available again. It may be my imagination, but it seems a couple of times during extended showers, I ran out of hot water towards the end of the shower and had to keep adjusting the mix valve to less cold. I can't figure this out since it seems to be a volume related problem and not the ability to heat to acceptable temperature. Any ideas are appreciated.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a few things you can try to improve the situation, but...
IMHO, your water heater is shot. Replace it.

Next time, flush the heater annually.

budrn

Reaction score
There are a few things you can try to improve the situation, but...
IMHO, your water heater is shot. Replace it.

Next time, flush the heater annually.

Could you explain this more fully? Have I damaged it somehow by not flushing it? What happens? Most neighbors have gas heaters as well, and never in 50 years have I heard of one being flushed. I am ignorant in this department. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks