Water Heater Space Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas D

Reaction score
The house we just purchased has 2 water heaters. One is almost new and is in the 1.5 story lever of the house.
The other is 1985 model and we want to change it out. It is above the garage. The only way to get to it is up the pull down stairs. Ceiling joists are 24 inches on center. The water heater Rheem is 22 wide and 32 high and is 40 gal.
Cannot find a 40 gal heater that will fit between the joist spacing and short enough to fit into the space due to the roof angle.

Any ideas short of relocating the heater which would involve an electrician relocating the 220 line and plumber relocating the cold and hot lines?

I have thought about going to a 30 gal heater which will fit, but am not sure if it will be enough hot water. I think the heater services the laundry and kitchen, which would be fine. Any way to tell what areas are serviced by this heater?

Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Turn the valve off on the tank and see where there is no water coming out of the hot faucets.

John

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A Reliance Lowboy measures 23" wide x 31.5" tall. It should work for you. You can find this brand at True Value.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Well, I know Lowes carries a Whirlpool 38 gal lowboy of the same dimensions as your Rheem because I pass by it in the store every trip.

Thomas D

Reaction score
A Reliance Lowboy measures 23" wide x 31.5" tall. It should work for you. You can find this brand at True Value.

23 in wont fit between ceiling joists which are 24 in on center. I did see a reliance low boy that was 22 x 30 but it was a 30 gal. That might be enough depending on what it supplies.

Thomas D

Reaction score
Well, I know Lowes carries a Whirlpool 38 gal lowboy of the same dimensions as your Rheem because I pass by it in the store every trip.

Will look tomorrow. Thanks. The only 38 low boy I see on Whirlpool site is 24 inches wide.

Last edited:

Thomas D

Reaction score
Turn the valve off on the tank and see where there is no water coming out of the hot faucets.

John

Alas, there are no valves on either tanks hot water side. Have shut one off and will see where the lukewarm water is. With over 100 degree temps in attic it might take awhile. Hopefully, the old tank will be supplying the kitch, and laundry room. If so, then might just go to a 30 gal.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The valve will be on the cold side and that will turn off the hot water.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks