How to install a well pump with manual equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Wellplunger

Reaction score
In the following video, 140’ of 2†drop pipe, sucker rod and a 4†pump cylinder are removed without a boom truck.

[video=youtube_share;FY1Hi7odgmA]http://youtu.be/FY1Hi7odgmA[/video]

Last edited:

Wellplunger

Reaction score
Part 2: Well pump installation for human powered deep well pump. The system includes a 3/4" stuffing box, a 4" windmill brass cylinder, 110' of 2" galvanized pipe and 3/4" fiberglass sucker rod.

[video=youtube_share;SBE7-4NBOKk]http://youtu.be/SBE7-4NBOKk[/video]

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Way over kill. We did the same thing with a simple pipe tripod, two pipe vices and a block and tackle.
19572-european-heavy-duty-pipe-vice-1.jpg

John

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah rope and torque arrestors are because of the PVC pipe. I never had much luck using PVC pipe with sucker rod pumps. The leathers in the pump barrel get tight and it breaks the PVC pipe. It is another one of those applications where if you use good pipe, you don’t need the rope. I can see you changed from PVC to steel pipe, so there must have been an issue.

Rope can cause a big problem if it is dropped or broken. And you don’t need the rope of torque arrestors with the steel pipe.

The 15’ hoist works because you have 10’ pipe. Most pipes comes in 20’ or 21’ lengths, which is why pump hoist are always taller than 20’. I use to cut a lot of pipe in half and thread it so do it yourself customers could use a block and tackle, or come-a-long for the 10’ joints.

I must commend you on the excellent job of cutting pipe, building tools, and getting the job done safely. You would be surprised at some of the scary things I have seen people try. You can save money doing these kinds of jobs yourself. But looking at the time and effort you put into everything, also helps people understand how much is involved and why pump guys have to charge what they do.

Wellplunger

Reaction score
Yeah rope and torque arrestors are because of the PVC pipe. I never had much luck using PVC pipe with sucker rod pumps. The leathers in the pump barrel get tight and it breaks the PVC pipe. It is another one of those applications where if you use good pipe, you don’t need the rope. I can see you changed from PVC to steel pipe, so there must have been an issue.

Rope can cause a big problem if it is dropped or broken. And you don’t need the rope of torque arrestors with the steel pipe.

The 15’ hoist works because you have 10’ pipe. Most pipes comes in 20’ or 21’ lengths, which is why pump hoist are always taller than 20’. I use to cut a lot of pipe in half and thread it so do it yourself customers could use a block and tackle, or come-a-long for the 10’ joints.

I must commend you on the excellent job of cutting pipe, building tools, and getting the job done safely. You would be surprised at some of the scary things I have seen people try. You can save money doing these kinds of jobs yourself. But looking at the time and effort you put into everything, also helps people understand how much is involved and why pump guys have to charge what they do.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the PVC was a major problem -- flexing and too lightweight. Because of the friction created by the seals, pumping would lift and flex the PVC drop pipe. The PVC would still rise and fall with a tightened well seal. I eventually had to strap it down.

I still have the lifting of the drop pipe now (without a tightened well seal) while breaking in the leathers, but I am sure there is not much flexing, and no lifting with a tightened well seal.

I understand your point about the rope. I used it as an extra safety feature. I have the rope tied off every 30', so if it is dropped, it won't go far. I used the torque arrestors to centralize the brass cylinder to keep it from touching the well casing.

Yes, there is a lot of steps involved with pulling a well pump. I made this video to show people it can be done without a boom truck if it ever absolutely had to be.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks