Lengthing/moving 110V wire

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMc

Engineer
Reaction score
I would like to add a recessed light, a couple in fact, in the ceiling of my 1st floor study. For a short time I have access from above because the flooring is being replaced on the second floor. The problem i have is that there is a wire, 14/2 nm, running through the joists on its way to a 2nd floor wall outlet and it would end up touching or an inch away from the can. Doesn't feel right. Replacing the whole thing would be very painful as this is an existing install and i do not plan on cutting into 2nd floor walls. Is it acceptable to cut the wire and splice in another 24 inches or so using a junction box at each end and wire nuts? That would be enough to avoid the light can. I think the wire feeds a single 15 amp dual-outlet but there may be two.

tthanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What type of can is it? If it's an IC type, since that can be In Contact with insulation, an inch is more than enough. If not, then you'd have to read the spec sheet to see what the minimum spacing to other objects.

DanMc

Engineer
Reaction score
Jim: they are not IC cans. The small junction box on the can is at the end of a metal bracket about 3--4 inches long. The box and bracket are an integral part of the can.

hj: these would be new boxes. I am thinking something like cut the existing wire where it crosses a joist. Then add a junction box on each loose end one joist over. Then i would have to add a new wire between the two. I would have access because i can lift the subfloor for about two weeks before new floors come.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The boxes will have to be accessible after the new floor is installed. It isn't going to look to good with a box cover in the floor.

I have never seen a light fixture that would be noticed if they were moved three inches away from their original point

DanMc

Engineer
Reaction score
jw: ah. I understand. You are correct, to make them permanently accessible would not really be possible in this case without it being really ugly. it seems a different spot may be my only option. was trying to keep it centered relative to some windows and in the same relationship as other lights but that may just not be practical. thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Stupid question, why is permanently accessible a requirement? might stick in my head better than just remembering a rule...

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Everywhere a joint, splice or termination is made is a point on the wiring system trouble can be therefore it must be done in a manner that would allow access to that point.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would have access because i can lift the subfloor for about two weeks before new floors come.

What about after 2 YEARS? That is when you might have problems, not two weeks.

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks