Cold Water in Tub/Shower Diminishing. Please Help

Users who are viewing this thread

cpg13

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a combo bath & shower with a double handle faucet, similar to this one (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-...ome-833-0401/100662005?N=1z11e3f#.UflO7I3VCDo)

Back in October on 2012 I had some work done in the bathroom to replace all the pipes with copper pipes and the water pressure in the tub and sink was great. Recently (past few weeks) the cold water in the tub has diminished to a small trickle and the hot water seems to be much hotter (maybe this is just because I have no cold water?). The cold and hot water in the sink is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I would prefer to do it myself if I could, I am just uncertain where to start.

Thanks You!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pressure balance spool valve may be partially stuck. Some debris in the line may be all it is. On some designs, that is built into the cartridge, on others, it's a separate, replaceable assembly. Or, it could be inlet filter screens that are clogged. You could turn the water off, take the cartridge out, then turn the water back on momentarily - it might flush things out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pull the stem out of the cold side of your two handle valve and see if it needs cleaning.

Make sure the main water supply is off first.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The pressure balance spool valve may be partially stuck.

Two handle faucets do NOT have a pressure balancing spool and most of the rest of the posting applies to single handle faucets also. If only the cold water is affected, the cause is probably in the faucet itself, but if not , the you could have a major problem.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks