Some kind of script error; IE8 sometimes locking up; bogus "Private Message" notices

Users who are viewing this thread

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
While posting (or maybe just while editing a post), I have occasionally been getting a notice from IE8 that some kind of script is taking too long and causing trouble, and I suspect that might be coming from whatever it is that sometimes places commercial advertising within posts...and then after telling IE to stop that script, IE freezes after completing the post and I have to close it ("end program") completely and restart it (and log in again) altogether. Also, I have now twice been met with a bogus "You have private messages" banner that is apparently also some kind of tricky "Please click me!" bait for whatever might be beyond that click...but I learned long ago to never click anything unless I know exactly what will come next.

No complaints of any kind here since I already many internet moguls no longer care about things working properly with IE8, Terry, but just thought you might want to know!

Great site.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use Chrome a lot, and find that if I don't empty the history every so often, I wind up with 502 errors.

So every so often now, I close everything, and then empty the trash so to speak. I've been using Crap Cleaner for that. Great name for it? I just thought of how that sounds. :) Oh my.

It's okay to click on the ads though.
I get those from Google, so I think they are safe. It's just people buying advertising on the site.
I would click on them, but I can't. Sometimes I see things I'm interested in, but I can't click them from my site.
If I'm on other sites I do.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
...every so often now, I close everything, and then empty the trash so to speak. I've been using Crap Cleaner for that. Great name for it? I just thought of how that sounds. :) Oh my.
That was its name back in the day when first written, but then its author cleaned things up a bit by changing its name to CCleaner! I do not know any greater details there, but it looks to me like he makes out well today after getting started by giving it away and only providing a "Donate" button. I still use the free version, but the "Donate" button is no longer there.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I was just browsing the site here and got an IE message I have never seen before:
"Internet Explorer has modified this page to prevent cross-site scripting."

After doing a Google search, I found this:
"I have found many advertisers using XSS in flash and text advertisements...
"The XSS warning might be something your site shows often which should be your first clue to start rethinking your scripts and your advertisers."
http://www.xtremecomputer.com/community/security-topics/internet-privacy/ie-xss-filters

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
IE8 has become a Hog.

I use Firefox most and use IE for testing only.

If you go into the Task Manager you may find more than 1 iexplore.exe process running. Some are hidden windows.

iexplore.exe will most likely be hogging the CPU.

If you are going to use IE then it is best to disable Flash.

Why Flash is even needed for ads is a mystery to me. A animated gif can do just as well.

Last edited:

Murphy625

Reaction score
LET ME BE VERY CLEAR ON THIS...
Anyone who still uses Internet Explorer is a computer fool. IE is insecure and unstable and the most attacked browser on the internet.
I don't really like Chrome.. but its a personal thing.. I don't have any real problem with it.

Use FireFox.. make sure to get the NoScript and AdBlockPlus add-ons as well as the DO-NOT-TRACK-ME addon. Secure, fast browsing with few worries. Can be a bit unstable sometimes however but its a minor issue when compared to security.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Anyone who still uses Internet Explorer is a computer fool.
Not really. About half the people in this world still have nothing other than or beyond IE8 available, and that is an issue every site owner has to ponder while deciding the matter of his or her website's IE-compatibility. Personally, I have paid significant amouts of money to developers along that kind of line. But either way, even Firefox is behind in development related to the ever-changing web and the kinds of things causing IE to want to block or stop certain scripts such as I have mentioned here. Chrome is said to be making best-use of multi-core processors, but I never have more than two and have yet to ever use it.

Murphy625

Reaction score
Not really. About half the people in this world still have nothing other than or beyond IE8 available, and that is an issue every site owner has to ponder while deciding the matter of his or her website's IE-compatibility.
Oh I completely agree. My own website is designed with that exact principle in mind but that doesn't change the fact that IE shouldn't be used. The ONLY reason so many people use IE is because it comes bundled with the operating system.

Personally, I have paid significant amouts of money to developers along that kind of line.
Websites using advanced php, java, and various other bells and whistles are the ones that run into those compatibility issues. Keep the site simple and stay away from all that funky stuff and it takes a lot less effort to be compatible.

But either way, even Firefox is behind in development related to the ever-changing web and the kinds of things causing IE to want to block or stop certain scripts such as I have mentioned here. Chrome is said to be making best-use of multi-core processors, but I never have more than two and have yet to ever use it.

My firefox has a script blocker that doesn't allow anything beyond HTML to run without my approval. That's the way all browsers should be set up. If you're using IE, you better only visit sites you very well know and trust.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Websites using advanced php, java, and various other bells and whistles are the ones that run into those compatibility issues. Keep the site simple and stay away from all that funky stuff and it takes a lot less effort to be compatible.
Is there any particular platform or whatever you might recommend? I am presently running WordPress and a customized theme having its own structure needing to be known and understood along with whatever else.

DonL

Reaction score
Html 5 looks good for the most part, and a good Text editor.

Everyone needs to get on the same page for compatibility.

If I have a problem with security on any page, I will seek the offender and block the address in my Hosts file.

Sites do need to pay more attention and what Advertisements they allow on their site.

Now that people are hacking Forums that use VB, You can never be to careful.

Have Fun.

Murphy625

Reaction score
Is there any particular platform or whatever you might recommend? I am presently running WordPress and a customized theme having its own structure needing to be known and understood along with whatever else.

It all depends on what your website is trying to accomplish. I keep my website in mostly basic HTML with a few java applets for different menu functions.

www.MurphysMachines.com

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have not tried newer versions of IE to see what happens with them, Terry, but those ads inside of posts here are definitely giving IE8 fits. The people paying you to put those ads in there will or would likely tell you to tell me to get a newer browser, but, well. whatever.

Murphy625

Reaction score
I have not tried newer versions of IE to see what happens with them, Terry, but those ads inside of posts here are definitely giving IE8 fits. The people paying you to put those ads in there will or would likely tell you to tell me to get a newer browser, but, well. whatever.

Wow... It's like I was talking to a wall.

I don't know you leejosepho, but please trust me on this issue as it is something I do know about... While I'm always the first to admit that I am no longer up to date on all the latest goodies, I am in my mid 40's and have been a computer super geek for 25+ years since the days of MSDOS required you to know how to use directory commands to navigate a computer. I was surfing the "internet" before the first Windows came out or anyone had even heard the words "world wide web". (back when it was just a bunch of colleges and other organizations linked together)
Switch to Firefox! Install the following add-ons (No Script, Add Block Plus, Do Not Track Me) and your internet and your computer will magically work faster.. Pages load quicker, evil computer hacking scripts are disabled, those pesky ads just vanish, and everything is better.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Wow... It's like I was talking to a wall.
Not at all. I understand about different browsers and I happen to use Firefox here on my morning machine. My situation (such as at the sites I manage) is just that I think more people should put more efforts into keeping things backward-compatible for as long as possible for folks that know little or nothing about browsers and/or that only have older ones available to them. Knowing virtually nothing about any of this, I got into WordPress a little under a year ago, then began discovering problems when I later switched to a newer theme that is "mobile-first". People told me it looked fine on their phones, but certain desktops were not showing bullets in the password box during login. I now understand at least a little about IE being a PITA for developers and coders, but leaving it in the dust is not an option for me.

Last edited:

Murphy625

Reaction score
Not at all. I understand about different browsers and I happen to use Firefox here on my morning machine. My situation (such as at the sites I manage) is just that I think more people should put more efforts into keeping things backward-compatible for as long as possible for folks that know little or nothing about browsers and/or that only have older ones available to them. Knowing virtually nothing about any of this, I got into WordPress a little under a year ago, then began discovering problems when I later switched to a newer theme that is "mobile-first". People told me it looked fine on their phones, but certain desktops were not showing bullets in the password box during login. I now understand at least a little about IE being a PITA for developers and coders, but leaving it in the dust is not an option for me.

What a headache that must be. I think I have been desensitized to the fact that there are many out there who are forced into situations where they have to use multiple systems with software that is not always of their own choosing.

And don't even get me started on those smart phones... They should be called "self inflicted tracking and spyware devices"... Handy little things they are but I think giving up privacy is too steep of a price.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Yup, "Nowhere to hide", so to speak, and even if you have nothing to hide! Without making any actual complaint to Terry here, my gripe is that Google and others will pay a site owner to let them track your keystrokes and clicks here so they can get paid for interrupting your session to whatever degree by targeting you with specific advertising they think you might actually want to see or that might be good for you or for someone else while you are just trying to read what is already here or to make a post or whatever...and then for me, IE's inability to handle all of that well sometimes also just makes me want to go away...

Must be some kind of communist plot, eh?! ;)

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I now understand at least a little about IE being a PITA for developers and coders, but leaving it in the dust is not an option for me.

You basically need different code rules that depend on the browser that is being used by the user.

Put Mobile Phones and Mini Pads in the mix and you have more problems.

Writing your code to detect the user OS/Browser, then displaying the proper output is the way to go. A user does not like to be told what browser they have to use, when on your site.

I think HTML6 may be the answer to some of the compatibly issues, If everyone follows the rules.

Have Fun.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
You basically need different code rules that depend on the browser that is being used by the user.

Put Mobile Phones and Mini Pads in the mix and you have more problems.

Writing your code to detect the user OS/Browser, then displaying the proper output is the way to go. A user does not like to be told what browser they have to use, when on your site.

I think HTML6 may be the answer to some of the compatibly issues, If everyone follows the rules.

Have Fun.
The "fun" for me is in trying to find someone who understands all the above and is both willing and able to actually make comprehensive use of it! One developer made a fine start at some of that, but then did not seem interested in continuing on and actually working out all the details. The next one had a couple of simple solutions to add that were easy to implement, but then he also seemed to lose interest when one of those brought on yet another problem. I have talked with another developer who has said he can make everything work reasonably well, but he has a minimum price and wants the entire amount up-front with no actual guarantee of result. "If everyone follows the rules" is definitely a factor in all of this, but I doubt there will ever come a day when everyone will agree upon which set of rules. So, and in spite of my gross lack of knowledge and experience related to coding websites, I have plans for digging in yet one more time this coming winter and will just have to live with whatever might come from that!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks