My EMG test

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Past couple of months, I was experiencing some pain that sounded/felt like sciatica, and my primary doctor sent me to a neurologist. The Neurologist did some basic testing, and scheduled this EMG test for me, without telling me anything about what it was. When I got home, I Googled "EMG" and found lots of hits on the subject, with most people that have had this test done saying it was painless. Let me say this: THEY ARE FULL OF SHIT!

It felt to me somewhere between like being a moth caught in a bug zapper and being Frankenstein's monster being brought to life. It started off easy, with little zaps, and I told myself "this is not so bad". Then he turned it up a few notches and each time he zapped me with that cattle prod, I twitched like Galvani's little frog leg. But it HURT like an MF. After maybe a 100 zaps or so, he said part 2 was next, where he stuck needles into me and passed electric currents through me. The needle stick was not so bad, but when he had current flowing, and asked me to force my foot against his pushin on it, I could feel the burning in my leg.

I asked him if he ever had this test done to him, and he said he did during his medical schooling done by his fellow students. This guy looks like one of those science fiction doctors, bald and professional, but not human, except for a false "smile". I endured all this because I wanted to find out what was wrong.

I had a cystoscopy done a couple of times in the past, and I would rather have 5 of those than another EMG test. Maybe it was just this doctor, but be forwarned if you need to get this test done: It IS NOT PAINLESS!

I read that they do these tests on people with incontinence, for both bladder and bowel sphinters. Man, THAT should be a BLAST, Literally. WOO HOO! It is over. Just need some PT now.:eek:

Cookie

Reaction score
I hope you are feeling better now Bob. Some things just aren't fun, eh.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
It felt to me somewhere between like being a moth caught in a bug zapper and being Frankenstein's monster being brought to life...
Whew, and I thank you for the forewarning! I might just not bother my doc with mention of my own symptoms. Electricity and the human body just do not mix well other than to stop a heart so they can try to get it going properly again.

Have you ever tried a gravity inversion board? I do not go all the way upside down like Uncle Fester, but decompression of my lower back relieves my symptoms for a while and can get me walking again when things get really bad. I passed on surgery many years ago, and I am glad I did.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I hope you are feeling better now Bob. Some things just aren't fun, eh.

Thanks Cookie and Lee.

Actually my symptoms cleared up for a week already after the EMG, lol. I know they will come back, but for the time being, I can now "enjoy" the pain I have from my plantar fasciitis.

I know I must sound like a hypochondriac, but I am not!

I will consider the rack if it does come back anytime soon.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You got your Volt Jolt.

Nice that You made it Bob.

Sounds like the Tech that set the EMG unit up had his wires crossed.

I hate it when they don't know the difference in Micro amps and Milli amps.

I used to calibrate some of the medical equipment, and the Proctoscope was one that I hated to calibrate.

I guess next time you will say "I feel fine" . lol

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How are you doing there, Bob? I just found a great chiropractor with a high-dollar spinal decompression machine (aka "rack"), and I have been truly amazed by the result.
Hi Lee, the pain just sort of disappeared 2 days or so after the shocks, so I have not gone for PT yet, but will if the pain comes back. I have been struggling with other pain though, in the form of plantar fasciitis. I went to my podiatrist the other day. It is and has been quite painful. Thanks for asking. I have also looked into maybe buying one of those tilt tables. There are so many non-pro ones soled at A M A Z* N dot com. Don't know if any of them are worth anything, but some of them have decent reviews.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have also looked into maybe buying one of those tilt tables. There are so many non-pro ones soled at A M A Z* N dot com. Don't know if any of them are worth anything, but some of them have decent reviews.
My recent discovery (after being horizontal on "the rack") is that hanging from my ankles at an angle does not offer the quality of spinal decompression of tension applied by way of a pelvic harness. No matter how hard I try to relax (even at a conservative angle), my legs and back are still trying to pull against gravity. So if you do decide to try some decompression, talk with a good chiropractor and possibly take a look at something like this:
http://spinalstretch.com/

For about $250.00, you can find something similar (and not quite as crude) mounted to a padded board you can lay flat on the floor. In my own case, I have added a pelvic harness to my inversion board so I can easily cycle through briefs periods of tension and relaxation like while laying on the chiropractor's $30,000.00 machine!

I know nothing about plantar fasciitis, but I just did a search and it definitely sounds like something needing good attention. Knowing nothing more to say, I hope for the very best for you there.

Last edited:

Murphy625

Reaction score
Some people are simply more sensitive to voltage than others. I am at the far end of the scale and find that I am insensitive to it.
Also, the amount of salt in your body and your hydration level will have a lot to do with how easily electrons flow through you. Someone who just drank an energy drink is sure going to feel the energy for sure! Someone who just finished running a marathon will probably not feel it as bad.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, if a doctor tells you a test is painless and you are feeling the pain, you should complain loudly! Someone could in fact be wrong and cause the doc to double check things.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Some people are simply more sensitive to voltage than others. I am at the far end of the scale and find that I am insensitive to it.
Also, the amount of salt in your body and your hydration level will have a lot to do with how easily electrons flow through you. Someone who just drank an energy drink is sure going to feel the energy for sure! Someone who just finished running a marathon will probably not feel it as bad.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, if a doctor tells you a test is painless and you are feeling the pain, you should complain loudly! Someone could in fact be wrong and cause the doc to double check things.
I am an electrician; over the many years, I have received my share of electrical shocks. To me, shocks are very, very unpleasant. I cannot even stand the "stim" device they use for physical therapy unless it is set at its very lowest setting. The doctor that did the test must be a sadist, and told me I need to go through with it to verify his diagnosis and reading of my MRI, lol.

Cookie

Reaction score
That picture is unreal, lol... and, yes, I know they are your people... :) I remember years ago, the first time I used a slant board, I guess I was slippery and slid right off of it...onto my head. This may be baiting myself, lol, but, that is why... I am brain damaged, lol. If Ian was here, he would be counting my ... lol's...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That picture is unreal, lol... and, yes, I know they are your people... I remember years ago, the first time I used a slant board, I guess I was slippery and slid right off of it...onto my head. This may be baiting myself, lol, but, that is why... I am brain damaged, lol. If Ian was here, he would be counting my ... lol's...
:):p;):p:)lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks