Junction box in attic mounted on truss support

Users who are viewing this thread

pex006

Reaction score
Is it ok to mount a junction box to a roof truss support. They are 2x4 in size. The access to the attic is through a hole in my hallway that I have to get a ladder to go up through it. The junction box will be 10 feet from the access hole.

Attachments

• Attic.jpg
    Attic.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,233
Reaction score
Is it ok to mount a junction box to a roof truss support. They are 2x4 in size. The access to the attic is through a hole in my hallway that I have to get a ladder to go up through it. The junction box will be 10 feet from the access hole.

You are doing fine. Secure the box well. Secure the cable or conduit properly. When in doubt, use a few more staples. Ten feet from the hatch is way more than enough. Don't fail to put a cover plate on the box when you are done. Or a light is fine as well. Just keep the cable or conduit well away from the hatch. I seem to remember it is 3'.

Your picture shows a floor. Keep the cables or conduit behind those jacks and away from the center.

Current code wants you to install a nailer if your cable is perpendicular to the ceiling joists. 1x3s will do the trick. That is good practice, the cable is nearly immune to damage then. Unless you go after it with an axe. Don't go after it with an axe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks