water to home is shutting off randomly

Users who are viewing this thread

mrsymo

Reaction score
Help! Is this a failure of the pressure reducing valve? From the street to my house is the cities water meter, a ball valve, then a Watts M55b M1 pressure valve. Every couple of days, the water supply to my home shuts off. Usually, I can open a faucet, go to the meter, and cycle the ball valve and the water will begin to flow again. Occasionally that doesn't work, but if I open the union in the line enough that water sprays out, then cycle it again, it will work. I'm beginning to think that I'm the first person in the world that this has happened to!!!

Thanks,
Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is somewhat irrational, because normally, if the PRV valve fails, it fails permanently, so we cannot be sure what is happening without being there to actually test it ourselves.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How old is the house? What kind of pipe is run from the street into the house? There could be some debris in the pipe, and it occasionally gets caught just right to block most of the flow. Or, it could be galvanized iron pipes, and the internal diameter is highly restricted because it is rusting from inside out. Lots of things possible.

mrsymo

Reaction score
How old is the house? What kind of pipe is run from the street into the house? There could be some debris in the pipe, and it occasionally gets caught just right to block most of the flow. Or, it could be galvanized iron pipes, and the internal diameter is highly restricted because it is rusting from inside out. Lots of things possible.

The house was built in 1988. Its 3/4 inch copper running from the valves to the house. I'm going to replace that valve and see if it fixes it. It's in a great location...the guy who built the house (did everything himself...lot's of not so cool surprises..) put the valve in line then built a concrete block fence directly on top of it, so not a whole lot of space to work in...and digging in AZ isn't the easiest labor in the world!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; and digging in AZ isn't the easiest labor in the world!

It isn't in the heat, but you should not have to dig down 42" like you would if you were "up North". We usually install the PRV at the house where it is above the ground, not at the meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks