Pex do's and don'ts

Users who are viewing this thread

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
I am now finishing up the diagrams for the current plumbing pipes that install in my basement, it is a mess so it's taking me some time to re-create and clean up. It is mostly galvanized, I have open joists and now the pipes are below the joists. I plan on replacing most (not the copper) with pex and putting it up in/through the joist. Just wondering if there is a book, site or anybody has any pex do's and don'ts? I plan on doing most of the work myself and use a licensed plumber to make the connection from the well holding tank to the water line and maybe to pull out the old pipes. I will install all of the pex before any waterlines are disconnected that way I can take my time and not worry about having water.

Thanks, Pat

John28

Reaction score
Why would you pay an "expensive" plumber to take the old pipes OUT? That is grunt work that any halfway competent person with a saw could do.

I agree, do that easy work yourself which will save you some towards the Pex.

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
Why would you pay an "expensive" plumber to take the old pipes OUT? That is grunt work that any halfway competent person with a saw could do.

Because I didn't think abt cuttin them & some need to be unscrewed & I'm not sure I have the strength. Also I'll want the plumber to ck my work.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are competent enough to replumb your home, you can do the hookup to the water tank.

Buy a cordless sawzall to cut the old galvanized, you can probably get a good used one at a pawn shop.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
PEX is pretty simple. Since it doesn't conduct heat like copper, you can even bundle them together.
I like using Uponor with and expander. I have a nice battery powered one for that purpose.
I still use copper around tub and shower valves for stiffness and bracing. And you have to have either copper or standard pipe nipples for a tub spout.

If you drilling holes through joists, leave at least 2" on the top and bottom. No notching.

I like a 618 sawzall blade for cutting galvanized. And don't forget something to cover your eyes while cutting.

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
PEX is pretty simple. Since it doesn't conduct heat like copper, you can even bundle them together.
I like using Uponor with and expander. I have a nice battery powered one for that purpose.
I still use copper around tub and shower valves for stiffness and bracing. And you have to have either copper or standard pipe nipples for a tub spout.

If you drilling holes through joists, leave at least 2" on the top and bottom. No notching.

I like a 618 sawzall blade for cutting galvanized. And don't forget something to cover your eyes while cutting.

Terry,
Thanks!
When drilling the holes in the joists what size should I drill the holes? Large enough to put both hot and cold lines through or separate holes for each. The supply line from the holding tank to an outside spigot , water softner is 3/4", then the return lines and lines to all the faucets, toilets showers etc will be 1/2".
Thanks!

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score

Since this will be a one time job and I don't want to shell out the $$$$ for the expander what is the next best Pex to buy after Uponor?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A commoon bit size for plumbing is 1-3/8"
They make plastic pipe inserts for that size to hold pipe the snug. Not that it really matters with PEX, but if you are also running some copper, it's good to have standardized hole sizes.
If you choose to bundle, then you might pick up something larger.

There are a few PEX brands that will work for you. Some use crimpers.

If you go expanding, then pick up this tool, and sell it after you are done. Otherwise, you shoulders are going to be complaining about what you put them through. I'm a big guy, and the manual expander works me over.

[video=youtube;xZdUnGXh_A8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdUnGXh_A8[/video]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks