Cadert 3 Flowise flashing in trapway

Users who are viewing this thread

miracj

Reaction score
I just picked up an unopened Cadet 3 Flowise Right Height, 1.28 Gal flush off of craigslist. On the bottom where the water exits, there is a small amount of glazed flashing that seems to be there. See attached photo. Front of the toilet is to the top of the photo where the small hole is (kind of looks like a 1/4" funnel)

My questions are
  • Is that small hole normal?
  • Is that flash common for American Standard Cadet 3 quality?
  • Should I knock off that small flashing, and will that affect the toilet trapway? If I should, best way to take it off.

Thanks,

Ira
20130709_2_Cadet3ToiletFlushway.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The small casting hole is normal, and the little flashing there isn't going to do anything.
If you can scratch it off, fine. If not, why worry.

miracj

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

The small casting hole is normal, and the little flashing there isn't going to do anything.
If you can scratch it off, fine. If not, why worry.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that the waste might catch on that flashing. It doesn't seem to want to easily come off, so I'll leave it alone.

I know you are not enamored with Cadet 3, but I have had good luck with them (no cracks, missing glazing or unlevel) and they have worked well in my home. But that doesn't mean I'd refuse a Toto given similar prices (and without the potential gotchas)

Thanks again,

Ira

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
\I know you are not enamored with Cadet 3, but I have had good luck with them (no cracks, missing glazing or unlevel) and they have worked well in my home. But that doesn't mean I'd refuse a Toto given similar prices (and without the potential gotchas)

You are fortunate, and personal preference makes the world go around, of course.

For what it's worth, the street price of the Toto Drake II CST744S (1.6) or CST744E (1.28) is comparable in price to many models of the Cadet 3. It depends a little on the color and whether you want Comfort Height on the bowl, but you'd be surprised. The basic Drake can be had for around $220 in white. Sometimes even less. But one does have to shop around and occasionally bargain a bit, something you don't have to do at the Big Box. But it can be done. Just something for future reference. Glad it worked out with your current Cadet 3!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks