Best Connection Method for PE pipe to rigid PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dennis47

Reaction score
My first post. Our 35 yr old house is built on a rocky slope and has a black flexible water line, probably polyethylene (PE), from the meter to the house (about 100 ft.). We had the shut-off valve at the house end replaced last month and the plumber double-clamped the poly pipe over a Sch 80 PVC nipple threaded into the valve. This connection is in shallow dry well in the patio slab, and the end of the poly just barely makes it past the well wall so there isn't much to work with. The new connection is already leaking past the clamps. The system is under about 80 pound pressure. Before the new valve installation, the poly connection was tight and dry. Seems to me there must a better method for making this connection that I can ask the plumber to use; perhaps a compression-type fitting. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It should have a barbed fitting and two hose clamps.
I like brass, though those are normally only getable at a plumbing supply.
The box stores are too cheap to carry what the plumbers use.

Connecting poly with a barbed fitting requires some space to work with. Sometimes a union is handy in a tight space.

Dennis47

Reaction score
It should have a barbed fitting and two hose clamps.
I like brass, though those are normally only getable at a plumbing supply.
The box stores are too cheap to carry what the plumbers use.

Connecting poly with a barbed fitting requires some space to work with. Sometimes a union is handy in a tight space.
Plumber hasn't come back yet; I reported the leak Monday. I'll ask him to replace the PVC fitting with a brass barb if he can. My concern is that if he has to cut the nipple out of the poly, he'll have to break up the patio slab to get to a new clean end. Would you add the union on the rigid side just to gain some working room?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks