belches out brown water

Users who are viewing this thread

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
I notice that some times I have brown water in my toilet bowl, it teams tha only this toilet gets the brown water (2 toilets in house). I am on a well with a water softner. I have lived in the house for 18 mons. before that it was vacant for about 2 yrs (owner went to assisted living she was 88 and original owner for 55 yrs). When I originally moved in it took me almost a yr to figure out how to get the system to work correctly (1st place with well) and to get the rust out of the system. I poured some stuff in the brine tube to cleaned the brine and manually regenerated it 2 times.
Why am I getting this brown water in the toilet (probably once a week)?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Do you have galvanized plumbing? Is the toilet used regularly? Are there other toilets?

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
Do you have galvanized plumbing? Is the toilet used regularly? Are there other toilets?
yes galvanized. 2 toilets, I figured out that the one with galv. pipes is belching the brown water, the other one has pvc pipes running to it.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
One has not said what type of softener is in use, that would help in figuring out what steps to take place for a correction.

First idea that comes to mind with the dis-colored water the morning after a regen or cleaning is that the steps in the cycle are not long enough to
properly clean the risen bed in the softener and that some changes are going to need to be made to the control.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If the brown water is not present at all fixtures, then the cause is not the softener, it's a specific galvanized pipe dumping its load of built up rust in it. So... start using a different toilet for like a few weeks and see if that toilet has the rusty water problem the morning of a regeneration. If it does then it is the softener, if not, it is the plumbing. The cure and an overall help would be to get rid of all the galvanized pipe and nipples. Another cause may be using water while the softener is regenerating.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The brown water is likely rust from the piping, but the belching could be caused by air trapped in the softener. Air may take the path of least resistance which could very well be the toilet. The toilet could also be the first point of use for water after the regen.

When air is combined with water, the water has less friction loss and so can accelerate through the line, stirring up what would otherwise not be stirred.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Also, the OP did not say what kind of pressure tank is on the well system. If it is a hydro-pneumatic, it is possible that the AVC is not working right to expel surplus air. This air could be leaving the tank during the backwash/regen. If the toilet flapper leaks, the air and rusty water could enter the line during the backwash/regen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks