Moving Into A Well Fed House

Users who are viewing this thread

Shoe6674

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am getting ready to move into a home in a few weeks that I just had tested for inorganic. I am still working on getting a bacterial test done through the local Health Department. This house has nothing in terms of a pressure tank and/or filtering. I am currently in KY and the house is in NC, so any info I have I have been collaborating with an in-law down there to get. I will be heading down on the weekend of the forth and will hopefully be able to gather the actual flow rate from the well along with motor size etc.

I am looking for help on what equipment to get to filter/ soften the water. There are two bathrooms total, and a sink in the kitchen, all on the first floor of the house which is approx 50 to 60 ft from the well. I am looking for low maintenance equipment. Any Guidance and/or help would be greatly appreciated.

Well depth is 215 ft.
Level is around 150 when full.
Casings size 6â€
No pump info except it is submersible.
I was told GPM is 1 ( I am thinking this is in terms of well recovery rate.)
Inorganic Test results:
All measurements are in mg/L ; sample was taken at the well.
Arsenic .022
Barium <.1
Cadmium <.001
Calcium 140
Chloride 210
Chromium <.01
Copper <.05
Fluoride .37
Iron .99
Lead <.005
Magnesium 22
Manganese .94
PH 7.4
Selenium <.005
Silver <.05
Sodium .73
Sulfate 10.00
Total Alkalinity 296
Total Hardness 440
Zinc 1.10

I was contemplating going ahead and shocking the system while I am down there, but I will probably be re-doing all the plumbing anyway which leads me to waiting until then.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Your Arsenic level is over double the EPA MCL.

Thanks for getting a proper test done, this makes designing a system a lot easier.

The MCL for Arsenic is 10 PPB, you are at 22 PPB. The water should not be used for drinking purposes until this is taken care of.

A standard softener should do you just fine for the hardness and small amount of iron. How many people are going to be living here? We need to know that to size the capacity. Be sure irrigation is seperated from the house water.

ditttohead

Reaction score
My personal recommendation would be 2.5 Cu. Ft. 7000SXT softener, and a GFH or titanium oxide based arsenic removal system after the softener. Other methods will work, but this will rpobably be the most economical.

ditttohead

Reaction score
pm sent,

I would recommend staying away from companies that work out of their garage, or motorhome. Buy from a company that has a physical address, not just a UPS box.

Shoe6674

Reaction score
Working off what I was told it does not, but I will look when I go down next weekend. The house/well was put in over 34 years ago. Very little maintenance was ever done, probably the first time it has been tested since it was put in, if it was tested then.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'd be concerned about capacity. If the pump is at, say, 200' and the water's at 150' on a good day, they've only got around 90 gallons available before the well runs dry (and an hour and a half to recover those 90 gallons), so some intermediate storage is a requirement. With 5 people full time, they're looking at 300gpd minimum, and if everybody showers at the same time, they could be in big trouble. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd want the biggest storage/pressure tank I could get, and would consider a large unpressurized cistern as well. I have friends in NoCal in a similar situation who use a 10,000 gallon well-fed cistern to smooth demands on the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks