Ethics and Customer Relations Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jimmi paul

Reaction score
Firstly, I apologize if there is a better forum for this; I'm new!

I run a small residential repair business in a college town, so I work on a lot of rentals. I had a call recently and wonder if I handled it the right way. Not being able to diagnose a problem isn't usually the case, so this was a little different for me.

Customer says water coming through kitchen ceiling from bathroom above. The immediate problem I see is the toilet, which was rocking back and forth like crazy. The leak in the kitchen was close to directly below but not exactly. I replace the toilet and everything seems fine for a week or so. She calls again and now there's a leak a little to the left of the previous one, more in between the sink and the tub.

I asked the guys who rent from her if they overflowed the sink of had the shower curtain outside the tub - they said no. I explained to the owner that I could see where there was a potential leak (there was a lot of plaster patching behind the pedestal sink so I thought that might be culprit (inside the wall, as is wasn't fastened properly), but I told her I couldn't be sure.

So yesterday and today, I tear up linoleum, subfloor, plywood, and find... nothing. All the pipes seemed dry and I tested everything by eye. So I felt bad charging her for doing all this work (the bill was $300) and all I really did was take everything apart, put it back together, and come to the conclusion that the guys showered improperly and the water leaked down through the seam between the tub and the flooring.

I honestly felt bad charging her, and almost wanted to find a leak...ha Now, I'll spend a few nights wondering if I missed something - though I don't know how I could have.

Any thoughts on my ramblings? Thanks :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is never a guarantee that the leak will be found.

I went out to one job like that, and asked if anyone showered with the slider door open.

"Oh no, my husband doesn't do that."

Okay..............

Finally after checking everything else, I cut drywall downstairs.
Nothing!

A year later I went back to install a new toilet. I asked about the shower, seeing the drywall was all repaired and painted.

"Oh yes, we figured my husband was showering with the slider open. He closes it now."

Don't feel too bad. You weren't the one getting things wet.

jimmi paul

Reaction score
Thanks

There is never a guarantee that the leak will be found.

I went out to one job like that, and asked if anyone showered with the slider door open.

"Oh no, my husband doesn't do that."

Okay..............

Finally after checking everything else, I cut drywall downstairs.
Nothing!

A year later I went back to install a new toilet. I asked about the shower, seeing the drywall was all repaired and painted.

"Oh yes, we figured my husband was showering with the slider open. He closes it now."

Don't feel too bad. You weren't the one getting things wet.

Thanks for the tips and moral support :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

$300.00? It costs almost that much to start the truck and drive to the job. (A little hyperbole there, but you get the idea.) I would NEVER start to tear things apart until I know EXACTLY where the problem was, since it often just a bad gasket behind the overflow opening that leaks when shower water splashes on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks