Concrete coming tomorrow 3" pipe and flange on the outside

Users who are viewing this thread

Joallen001

Reaction score
I have concrete being poured tomorrow and have a 3" pipe that will need a flange. I know they make 3" flanges that go on the inside but I would rather put it on the outside of pipe. What is the best way to wrap the pipe so room is left for the flange to be glued on. I was thinking something like foam pipe insulation and melting it out with a torch after the pour. I am a little afraid the foam may push in to far with the concrete weight. Just trying to save myself from having to chisel it out later. Any suggestions on this? Also is a flange with stainless steel the best to use on a slab pour? I am staying away from the all plastic flanges!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're on the right track with the outside fitting flange, and SS is always preferred over all plastic. Go to a building supply house, even a big box store probably will be OK, and get the foam sleeve that is made for the purpose.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sleeve

They make foam sleeves and also wrapped corrugated cardboard ones. You just "pick" them out after the concrete is poured, you DO NOT "melt" them out. Don't do like a homeowner here did years ago. He formed his area and then called for the concrete to be delivered. He told his wife to have them pour it inside his form. A few hours later the concrete company got a call. He said, "You delivered my concrete 4 hours ago and it is still in a big pile. When does it level itself out?"

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
We use a 4"x 3" 90 with 4" pipe coming through the slab. Then you can get a flange the fits inside the 4" pipe.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use a 4"x 3" 90 with 4" pipe coming through the slab. Then you can get a flange the fits inside the 4" pipe.

John

I like doing that too. That way I can cut it flush with the finished floor and glue it inside the pipe.
Also with a 4", if the plumbing gets bumped I have some leeway that I don't get with 3"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

quote; glue it inside the pipe. I ALWAYS use a flange that slides OVER the outside of the riser. That way I can cut it off AFTER the flange is against the floor.

DavidTu

Reaction score
I like doing that too. That way I can cut it flush with the finished floor and glue it inside the pipe.
Also with a 4", if the plumbing gets bumped I have some leeway that I don't get with 3"

Terry, I don't follow... how does 4" provide leeway? It would seem if the pipe is not positioned correctly the 3" inside flange is also not going to sit correctly??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks