Extending gas line for NG bbq

Users who are viewing this thread

minus08

Reaction score
My next purchase is going to be a natural gas grill. I will need to get NG out to the backyard. I will not need anything run underground as I'd like to have the quick disconnect coming out of the back of the house well above grade. In the basement I have a 1/2" line running off of a 1" line. The 1/2" is going up to the 1st floor laundry area for the location of a gas dryer. I have an electric dryer and will never get a gas dryer. Also I am really not that concerned about the needs of any future owner as far as their clothes drying preference.

Was contemplating just taking this gas dryer line apart back to the 1" x 1/2" Tee and rerouting the 1/2" run toward the outside. The run toward the outside would be about 40' from the point of the Tee. The grill will be about 40,000 BTU. The gas piping is black iron pipe. Have no qualms about installing new run as I have worked with black pipe alot. Is 1/2" ok for that distance? Also is there anything to mount on outside of house where the gas line exits? The house is vinyl siding at the location where the gas line would exit.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Was contemplating just taking this gas dryer line apart back to the 1" x 1/2" Tee and rerouting the 1/2" run toward the outside. The run toward the outside would be about 40' from the point of the Tee. The grill will be about 40,000 BTU. The gas piping is black iron pipe. Have no qualms about installing new run as I have worked with black pipe alot. Is 1/2" ok for that distance? Also is there anything to mount on outside of house where the gas line exits? The house is vinyl siding at the location where the gas line would exit.

You say the run is about 40 feet. You will be OK with 1/2" for that length. 40' of 1/2" will deliver 63K BTU per hour at 2 psi. For reference though you should establish what the develeoped pipe length is. By that I mean the actual length may only be 40 feet but you have to add in any 90's or Tee's as its equivalent length of pipe. A 1/2" 90 is equal to 1.55 feet and a 1/2" Tee is equal to 3.10 feet.

So if you had say 6-90's and 1- Tee, that would be an additional 12 feet of pipe to consider for calculations. But you are well within the limits according to the NFGC table 6.2(a)

Hammerlane

Reaction score
In the basement I have a 1/2" line running off of a 1" line. The 1/2" is going up to the 1st floor laundry area for the location of a gas dryer. I have an electric dryer and will never get a gas dryer. Also I am really not that concerned about the needs of any future owner as far as their clothes drying preference.

I know you dont care about leaving a line for a future dryer but if you could eliminate that 1 x 1 x 1/2 Tee and replace that with a 1 x 1 x 3/4 Tee, you would be able to run 3/4 toward the grill until you need to reduce down to 1/2. Also off that 3/4 line you could add a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 Tee for a future dryer and just plug it. The cost to do it this way would be maybe another $15.

Also is there anything to mount on outside of house where the gas line exits? The house is vinyl siding at the location where the gas line would exit.
Vinyl siding mouting block can be used

Attachments

• sdvnjb01a_vinyl_j_block.jpg
    sdvnjb01a_vinyl_j_block.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You say the run is about 40 feet. You will be OK with 1/2" for that length. 40' of 1/2" will deliver 63K BTU per hour at 2 psi. For reference though you should establish what the develeoped pipe length is. By that I mean the actual length may only be 40 feet but you have to add in any 90's or Tee's as its equivalent length of pipe. A 1/2" 90 is equal to 1.55 feet and a 1/2" Tee is equal to 3.10 feet.

So if you had say 6-90's and 1- Tee, that would be an additional 12 feet of pipe to consider for calculations. But you are well within the limits according to the NFGC table 6.2(a)

How do you know he is running a 2lb. psi system? 2lb.psi is not too common inside the structure for Nat gas

Bluebinky

Reaction score
As Tom says, you need to look at the gas distribution as a whole to be 100% sure. Depending on what else is going on, 1/2 inch may or may not be OK.

It's not hard at all. You just need to draw a simple diagram and follow the procedure of looking at tables in the book.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks