Old wall tube stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

simpsoj

Reaction score
Hi - trying to replace old bathroom sink and vanity. The pipes broke when removing and can't get the wall tube out.....see picture....any advice much appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think a "little" penetrating oil on that chrome tube where it enters the trap adapter sticking out of the wall should free it up enough to pull it out with a gloved hand.

simpsoj

Reaction score
I think a "little" penetrating oil on that chrome tube where it enters the trap adapter sticking out of the wall should free it up enough to pull it out with a gloved hand.

Doesn't seem to be moving at all...maybe needs more time with penetrating oil? I've added another picture....which pieces should actually come out....just the chrome tube?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,013

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
The brass tubular drain and the brass ferules around the pipe are what need to come out. The threaded brass adapter can stay in the wall. SOMETIMES you can put on wrench on the threaded adapter that is coming out of the wall and unscrew it from the T in the wall, but i cant tell if that is possible from the pictures. I have in the past cut the pipe and ferrules with a saw and used a chisel to carefully chip out the old pipe. Hope that helps.... let us know how it goes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

YOU can either unscrew the brass fitting and install a new one, or drive a screwdrive into the opening next to the tubing to collapse it, then it will pull out.

simpsoj

Reaction score
The brass tubular drain and the brass ferules around the pipe are what need to come out. The threaded brass adapter can stay in the wall. SOMETIMES you can put on wrench on the threaded adapter that is coming out of the wall and unscrew it from the T in the wall, but i cant tell if that is possible from the pictures. I have in the past cut the pipe and ferrules with a saw and used a chisel to carefully chip out the old pipe. Hope that helps.... let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice. A channel lock wrench around the first brass looking piece (between the copper and the threaded brass) and it came out with a little work.....both were a part of the compression fitting on the chrome pipe.

cakeslayer

Reaction score
Hello! Didn't want to start a new discussion, as I'm having a similar problem. I'm new to DIY projects, and I know next to nothing about plumbing, but I figure that being a new homeowner, I'd better get to learning. My bathroom sink was leaking. I determined that it was because the wall pipe was corroded. (This house is a 1929, and I'm not sure if this is original, but it's definitely ancient.) I took off the U trap and bought new parts (U trap and wall pipe), but the wall pipe and the fitting over it are both thouroughly stuck. I'm not sure if it's because they're too corroded, or if whoever put the sink together glued them on. I've tried using a pipe wrench, but it's too big to fit under the cabinet the sink is in. I hit it with the wrench, trying to loosen it, to no avail. I tried to maneuver a screwdriver in between the pipe and the fitting, as I'd seen that advice both on this forum and on other sites, but I can't get it in there AT ALL. Any suggestions? I thought about trying Goo Gone or some kind of glue-dissolving stuff, but I don't want to waste my time with it if it won't help anything. I'd be happy to post a picture, it someone can tell me how...
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There isn't any glue on it, but it's possible that they soldered it in. To add photo, go to advanced, then scroll down to manage attachments. You should be able to figure it out from there.

At over 80-years, I'd expect it to be pretty corroded and difficult to remove.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks