two pump switches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pb3000

Reaction score
When my pressure tank hits 60 psi, my pump shuts off. When the pressure drops down
to 40 psi, as expected the pump kicks back on. I assume that there is a
Pressure switch somewhere that does this.

During the summer I am concerned about the well yield decreasing or else a sprinkler getting left on and running the well dry.

I have a gould 3/4 HP 10GS. I have had low pressure in the house s couple times in the last week and found the pressure in the system was only 20 PSI and the pump was on but pressure wasnt coming up. I turned the spigot at the well head on for about 15 seconds and then turned it off, then repeated once. Suddenly the pressure in the system started to rise normally and then the pump cut off when the tank reached 60 psi as expected.

I feared maybe the well was going dry so I got to wondering how I can protect the pump.
Should I put on a second pressure switch with a cut out at 10 psi and cut in at 15 psi for low pressure situations? Does my experience sound like dry well? Aging pump? Something else? The pump is about 10 years old.

Thank you in advance for your expertise!

Thassler

Reaction score
You could use a Franklin Pumptec or Pentek Pumpsaver or similar device to protect the pump. Either device will shut down the pump when it senses a dry well or other electrical condition problem. I've run a Franklin Pumptec for the past 10 years and other than an occasional false trip it has saved my pump more than once. I just had a second well drilled last week and purchased a Pentek Pumpsaver to try on it.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't rely on a Pump Tek either, I have seen pipe failures from excessive heat with a Pump Tek even when they are set to the highest sensitivity.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Can't rely on a Pump Tek either, I have seen pipe failures from excessive heat with a Pump Tek even when they are set to the highest sensitivity.

Won't have that problem with the Cycle Sensor. With the Cycle sensor you can see the amps and know where it is set. Takes the guess work out of it. I never did like those "sensitivity" settings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks