Trimming Copper Pipe, Replacing Shut Off Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

DC Newbie

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing a bathroom vanity, and in order to get it flush against the wall I need to trim back one of the water supply pipes which sticks out too far (pic attached). Plan to replace the shut off valve in the process. As my handle indicates, I'm a newbie at this stuff, but it seems like this is a relatively easy fix. Can I just trim the pipe by a half inch or so using a pipe cutter of some sort? And do I need to do anything to the pipe in order to seat the new valve properly (remove burrs, clean threads)? If soldering is the way to go, then I'll need to bring a plumber in.

thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

• IMAG0402.jpg
    IMAG0402.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 872

Speede541

Reaction score
Something that works great for me is a oscillating tool fitted with a Dremel 482 blade. My particular tool is a cheapie pneumatic Harbor Freight unit, but there are a bunch of electric models available from reputable brands.

This is a great setup for getting at even 2" copper installed in tight confines where a compression-type pipe cutter simply won't fit, and it doesn't rip the edges to shreds like a recip saw.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu can use anything you want to cut off the tubing, a cutter, small hacksaw, big hacksaw, SawZall, etc. But I would stay away from a reciprocating tool, because they might be difficult to hole in place without damaging the copper before it is cut off.

DC Newbie

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion on the cutting tool. I should clarify that the vanity is not set yet, so I can pull it away from the pipes in the picture, leaving me with space to operate.

Edited to add: do I even need to take the old compression valve off, or could I just cut the pipe behind it?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We would use a sleeve puller first to remove the back nut it there was too little space and then a tubing cutter.
A bit of Emory cloth to smooth the copper before sliding the new compression stops on and then snugging them on with an expandable spanner.

Sometimes a hacksaw blade, but nothing with power.

sleeve_puller_3.jpg

milwaukee-tubing-cutter.jpg

Last edited:

DC Newbie

Reaction score
We would use a sleeve puller first to remove the back nut it there was too little space and then a tubing cutter.
A bit of Emory cloth to smooth the copper before sliding the new compression stops on and then snugging them on with an expandable spanner.

Sometimes a hacksaw blade, but nothing with power.

thanks Terry. Was in line at Home Depot with a tube cutter in my hand when I read this so glad to hear I'm on the right track. Wish me luck!

DC Newbie

Reaction score
So thanks to everyone's help and encouragement, I managed to swap out the old compression valve, cut the pipe, and install the new valve without too much difficulty. It got a little off kilter in the tightening process, but so far no drips.

Now to see if this valve fits with the faucet supply lines...just kidding, already checked. I'm learning to think a few steps down the line as part of this renovation projectIMAG0408_BURST002_1.jpg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks