Questions about pressure switch setting and pressure in bladder

Users who are viewing this thread

bobfromtexas

Reaction score
I had a pump that was tripping the breaker. I pulled it and it was totally covered in iron sludge. This pump was 3 years old. I put dry acid in the well and brushed it good. The replacement pump is a Goulds 3hp 3 wire. New drop pipe was installed, new check valve, new control box, and new gauge. The only purpose for this well is to fill the pond that has a pump for the sprinklers. The fill system is worked by a liquid control system through 1" pipe. The flow is great. The new pressure switch is a 30/50. When I installed it, it cut out at 50, but back in at 45. I adjusted both screws back and forth trying to get the 20 lb. difference. After several adjustments, I got it at 30/40. When the sensor in the pond closes the solenoid valve, the cut out is 40. When the other sensor opens the solenoid valve, the cut in is at 30 and remains at 20 lbs. with just a little up and down. My two questions are...is the 30/40 ok since it is either running or not running. The pressure tank was installed 3 years ago. I checked the air pressure and it shows 34 lbs. Should it be dropped to 28 lbs. or is it that critical? Thanks in advance for any advice. Just trying to maintain this new system properly.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
30/40 is OK as long as it is either on or off. But tightening the small adjustment screw is the way to widen the on/off band on the pressure switch. You only want 18 PSI air in the tank since it works at 20 PSI. That will stop the "little up and down" you are seeing.

bobfromtexas

Reaction score
30/40 is OK as long as it is either on or off. But tightening the small adjustment screw is the way to widen the on/off band on the pressure switch. You only want 18 PSI air in the tank since it works at 20 PSI. That will stop the "little up and down" you are seeing.

Thanks for the reply valveman. I will drop the pressure to 18 PSI. I'm trying to learn all of this, so this is very helpful. So it sounds like regardless of where the switch is set, the working pressure will be 20 PSI, and the 18 PSI will be based on that. The on and off sensors in the pond are set about 3 inches apart to keep the ripples in the water from cycling the well pump on and off. When it does drop below the green sensor, it runs about 24 hours before hitting the red sensor. Is there anything else I could do to protect the well pump? Thanks so much for your help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are lots of protection devices you could use, but it doesn't sound like you need any. The pump is not cycling and the well is not a low producer that could pump dry. You already have overloads built in. So I think you are good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks