CitiKitty, toilet train your cat

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Huh. This dude used Litter Kwitter, and has video of the cat actually using the toilet with it. And video of the cat pooping on the seat, and video of the cat drinking from the toilet, and video of the cat almost falling in while trying to do it without the Litter Kwitter in place. Oddly, there's video of the cat doing everything but successfully using the toilet without the device.

Nevertheless, given that I thought intially that this was an April Fool's joke in May, it is interesting. I do wonder how many come home to find that their cat has slid off the seat and is now swimming in the toilet, however. The last clip of the cat trying not to slide off the painted wood seat was a bit telling, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
When our old cat finishes her business, she typically takes off like a shot and runs through the house like something is on fire...and we would still have to go pick up that last piece that somehow follows her to the floor. But the biggest challenge here would be the matter of installing a toilet where she expects her litter box to be and then telling people the cat is the only one who poops in the living room!

PS: I have heard you definitely do not want cat feces in a septic tank, and that neither do municipal systems want it there.

Last edited:

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
PS: I have heard you definitely do not want cat feces in a septic tank, and that neither do municipal systems want it there.
Why? My sister has a cat with the litter box in the bathroom and flushes its deposits all the time.

They market kitty litter labeled as "flushable" as well.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Why?
Here is what I have found about that:
Now, here's the scoop on cat poop. EPA brochures and a variety of other publications say you can flush it down the toilet, minus the litter. However, research suggests that the eggs of Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite found in cat poop, may survive the wastewater treatment process and contaminate waterways. While Toxoplasma rarely affects healthy people, it can cause defects and brain damage in babies whose mothers were exposed when pregnant. Brain disease can also develop in people with compromised immune systems. In addition, Toxoplasma has been shown to harm sea otters and may affect other wildlife as well. As the eggs can last for up to a year in soil, burying cat poop is also problematic. For this reason, researchers working in the field recommend keeping cats indoors and disposing of waste and litter in the trash in sealed plastic bags.

—Sheryl Eisenberg

http://www.nrdc.org/thisgreenlife/0801.asp
More here: https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+feces+in+sewage+treatment

They market kitty litter labeled as "flushable" as well.
That only means it will not clog your toilet when you flush, not that nothing else might happen somewhere else. However, yes, I have heard of cat litter made from corn that can eventually decompose.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; They market kitty litter labeled as "flushable" as well.

They just don't tell you WHERE it lodges, or accumulates, after you flush it. Have you ever seen a septic tank with a foot of "flushable" kitty litter on the bottom of it? The problem I see is getting kitty to raise the lid, flush the toilet, then put the seat back down.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There are some environmentalists that think that toxoplasmosis may get past sewage treatment and make it into waterways. However, realistically, the danger of that is much greater from cat feces deposited outside, which, can make it through a storm drain into a waterway without being treated. Livestock, of course, is far and away the greatest source of rainwater-runoff fecal pollution.

As far as the threat of toxoplasmosis eggs (nasty critters that survive most disinfectants and come out in the fecal matter of no species other than cats), the EPA, at least, thinks they are safe to flush down the toilet, despite the theoretical analysis done by some enviro-types:

See, e.g., http://cfpub.epa.gov/npstbx/files/slc_petwaste.pdf

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
There are some environmentalists that think that toxoplasmosis may get past sewage treatment and make it into waterways. However, realistically, the danger of that is much greater from cat feces deposited outside, which, can make it through a storm drain into a waterway without being treated. Livestock, of course, is far and away the greatest source of rainwater-runoff fecal pollution.
Yes, and I get a kick out of the idea that pet poop in plastic bags in landfills is somehow "safe" or better in any significant or long-term kind of way. Personally, my wife and I flush our old cat's droppings into the municipal system rather than adding more plastic and poop at the landfill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks